addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Central Maryland MINI Motorists Message Board HAIRPIN CORNER › First time at Summit Point - NEED ADVICE!

First time at Summit Point - NEED ADVICE!

Dr. Glascow Tennil...
user 9467671
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 19
Hello MINI friends,

I am interested in attending my first "Friday at the Track" event this year with my 2005 MCS! It is currently stock, which includes the brakes, brake lines, etc. In regards to preparation for the event, I have read in other places that I need to upgrade my brake pads and brake lines as these are the hardest hit areas. Is it safe to leave my car stock with fresh pads and a brake line flush? I want to got out and enjoy myself, be safe and not blow up my MINI which is my daily driver. Any thoughts and additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Tennille
A former member
Post #: 12
If you're just planning to do this once or twice a year there's no real need to replace your brake lines, but I would definitely do a brake line flush and replace it with ATE Blue race fluid. As for brake pads, I'd replace them with Hawk HPS pads. They're not track pads by any means, but they should do fine for one or two track days. If you think you'll be doing this more often, it makes sense to get some actual track pads like the Carbotech XP10 and switch them out at the track (they're loud as hell on the street, and throw a LOT of dust).

You may also want to look at replacing your solid front rotors with slotted (not drilled) rotors; drilled rotors have a tendency to gum up with brake dust if you're not careful. Solid rears are fine.

What other mods have you done so far?

Rab M.
user 13408577
Hagerstown, MD
Post #: 17
This might help you also. I have a video "driving summit point" by Art Jaso who drives a ITC Toyota.

It takes you through each corner for the correct lines and braking points, it is clear and concise and

will really help you. I can bring it with me this Sunday for the run if you want to borrow it.
Dr. Glascow Tennil...
user 9467671
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 20
If you're just planning to do this once or twice a year there's no real need to replace your brake lines, but I would definitely do a brake line flush and replace it with ATE Blue race fluid. As for brake pads, I'd replace them with Hawk HPS pads. They're not track pads by any means, but they should do fine for one or two track days. If you think you'll be doing this more often, it makes sense to get some actual track pads like the Carbotech XP10 and switch them out at the track (they're loud as hell on the street, and throw a LOT of dust).

You may also want to look at replacing your solid front rotors with slotted (not drilled) rotors; drilled rotors have a tendency to gum up with brake dust if you're not careful. Solid rears are fine.

What other mods have you done so far?

Thanks for the response. I only plan to do 1-2 track days this year, so I probably won't make any serious modifications. I have autocrossed in the past with a moderately modded 2000 Civic cx, but I don't plan on pushing the MINI that hard. I am planning to take my MINI to the dealership for some other maintenance things. Do you know if they will replace your brake fluid and pads with anything that is not OEM/stock? If not, I can take it down to another shop that I go to in Laurel. Thank you again for the repsonse.

Dr. T
Dr. Glascow Tennil...
user 9467671
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 21
This might help you also. I have a video "driving summit point" by Art Jaso who drives a ITC Toyota.

It takes you through each corner for the correct lines and braking points, it is clear and concise and

will really help you. I can bring it with me this Sunday for the run if you want to borrow it.

I really appreciate the offer, however, I won't be able to make it to the meet this weekend. I am helping a good friend of mine with his wedding preparations. Would it be possible to meet you somewhere next week or weekend. I am in the White Marsh area.

Dr. T
Rab M.
user 13408577
Hagerstown, MD
Post #: 18
Well, I live in Hagerstown so it might be a tad bit far to meet somewhere. How about the St. Patrick's

day run on March 20th? I can bring it with me then. Just let me know. Rab
A former member
Post #: 13
I am planning to take my MINI to the dealership for some other maintenance things. Do you know if they will replace your brake fluid and pads with anything that is not OEM/stock? If not, I can take it down to another shop that I go to in Laurel. Thank you again for the repsonse.

Dr. T

Depends on the dealership. I assume you're out of warranty anyway, so it shouldn't make any difference to them, but they might have an issue. Call your service tech to make sure.
Dr. Glascow Tennil...
user 9467671
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 22
I was also told that the Motul RBF 600 brake fluid is good. Any experience or thoughts with this brand?

Dr. T
Carl B.
user 11229071
Rockville, MD
Post #: 18
You have been getting very good advice. The brand of brake fluid is less important than new brake fluid. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (attracts water). Bleeding the brakes before events is a good idea. Both Motul and Castrol racing fluid are very good.
Dr. Glascow Tennil...
user 9467671
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 23
You have been getting very good advice. The brand of brake fluid is less important than new brake fluid. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (attracts water). Bleeding the brakes before events is a good idea. Both Motul and Castrol racing fluid are very good.

Thank you for the response. I knew I came to the right place. ;^)