Central Maryland MINI Motorists Message Board NONE OF THE ABOVE › Seriously??? - 1

Seriously??? - 1

John (aka j.
user 9218440
York, PA
Post #: 3
This is a copy of an open thread on Carlisle MINI about an ongoing issue one of our members has been having with her Countryman and her dealings with MINI of Baltimore County. It has been edited down, a condensed version, a la Readers Digest if you will.
---------Sometime Tuesday morning, Jan 17, 2012:
Had my 2nd tow and 3rd overall trip to Mini Baltimore today. 
It seems they still haven't managed to fix my thermostat problem. But, they are now boasting they know exactly what the problem is (saying it's NOT the recall issue)...I guess we'll see. I have the green twin of my countryman as a loaner so at least I'm not MINI-less.
---------They're saying it's a thermostat sensor problem which is what they already replaced the first time I had it towed. Unfortunately, they didn't get it right the first time. I'm hoping third's a charm. I find it quite amusing that they're saying it's not the same as the recall issue. When we finally got mine started on Sunday, we very distinctly heard a belt "clanging". And by the time I got home Monday, it smelled like I was roasting marshmallows under my hood!
---------You know, I hate to throw out the "lemon" word, but three repairs for the same issue in Maryland should give MINI Of Baltimore some sweat beads.
---------Funny, I was planning to mention that when I pick it up and let them know that they do NOT want to see me again before my 15000 mile oil change. I normally wouldn't go there yet, but they weren't overly accommodating when I was there Tuesday. I kind of felt like some kissing up was warranted at that point. VERY disappointed in the dealership's overall customer service. My salesman and the girl that answers the phone are the only ones still on my good list!
---------Make them aware of this thread. Many viewers to the Carlisle Mini forum...Power in numbers. You just want to Motor...they should understand that.
---------OK boys, good news and bad news....After not hearing a word from MINI since I left my car there on Tuesday, I called and had them redirect me higher up the chain. They put me in touch with Jack (my new best friend). I explained my woes and also informed him that I have unfortunately had to turn a MINI club of 150+ members against MINI of Baltimore because they all asked "what did they do for you?" and I had to say NOTHING. I also explained that not only have I not received a single apology but there was not an ounce of sympathy for the hassle they've created out of my new car experience.
Jack called the service center to see what was going on and here's the scoop. When they pulled the car into the garage Wed morning, they experienced the problem. However, it's not what they thought it was and they have been unable to duplicate the problem since then! Therefore, they haven't fixed anything. They called in some kind of senior tech and, while they know there is a problem, they don't have a clue what the problem is.
So, I told my new friend Jack that I don't care how long they need to keep it but I don't want it back until it's fixed. I thought of my "bully friends" here at CM and I puffed my feathers and I said "Here is what I would like...I would like you not to give my car back until you are 100% sure it is fixed. I would also like you to give me the rubber floor mats that I was told came with my car and didn't. And I would like for you to walk over to the gift shop and pick up some things that I can take to my next club meeting so that I can say "Look what Mini of Baltimore donated to the club to be raffled off to show that they DO care about their customers". Not only did he agree to that but he also said he will have my vehicle towed back to me when it's fixed AND he will have them reimburse me for a month's car payment. I told him if he does all that, I will ask the club to remove MINI of Baltimore from their black list. That is as long as they follow through with the freebees for you!
Maybe it was me mentioning the little yellow citrus fruit or maybe I finally found someone who cares. Either way, I'm starting to feel a little better. Since I will be keeping my loaner longer, I've decided to name her. I've named her "The Other Woman" because I feel a bit like a cheater when I'm enjoying her company so much! I've already scheduled a secret rendezvous with her tonight to go play in the white stuff...WOOHOO!
---------Oh don't worry, I'm not snowballed that easily...this is their last chance. I am just trying to be optimistic right now because I really do love this car. However, if it is not right this time, I will pursue the lemon law option whole heartily. Their "gifts" are reimbursement for my inconveniences to date. I am not at all afraid to play hard ball if I have to.
----------I did a little reading on the lemon law. If I am understanding correctly, they get 4 chances or 30 days to make it right. At that point, I have a case. If they're reimbursing me for a car payment in hopes that I will sign off on something, nope! As a matter of fact, I will read every word before I sign anything for them. I can be a bit naive at times, but I'm definitely not stupid (much). My dad's a retired cop and a little familiar with the legal lingo. He always likes a good challenge so I think I'll have him start doing some homework for me...just in case!
---------That's my understanding of the law as well.
It's the old rule of strength in numbers, we support, and encourage your response to MoBC on this issue, we can't let then get away with this stuff, 'cause if they think no one is watching they will not change their ways. Even then the MINI community needs to be alert and continue to communicate and stay active.
---------I will post this to C3M and DC Metro MINIS and I'll send you a link to their sites as well so you can follow the conversation.
---------This brings us current as of Friday 1.20, I will keep this post current a events evolve.
John (aka j.
user 9218440
York, PA
Post #: 4
Seriously??? - 1 cont'd

I did a little reading on the lemon law. If I am understanding correctly, they get 4 chances or 30 days to make it right. At that point, I have a case. If they're reimbursing me for a car payment in hopes that I will sign off on something, nope! As a matter of fact, I will read every word before I sign anything for them. I can be a bit naive at times, but I'm definitely not stupid (much). My dad's a retired cop and a little familiar with the legal lingo. He always likes a good challenge so I think I'll have him start doing some homework for me...just in case!
-------------------------------
That's my understanding of the law as well.
It's the old rule of strength in numbers, we support, and encourage your response to MoBC on this issue, we can't let then get away with this stuff, 'cause if they think no one is watching they will not change their ways. Even then the MINI community needs to be alert and continue to communicate and stay active.

I will post this to C3M and DC Metro MINIS and I'll send you a link to their sites as well so you can follow the conversation.
-----------------------------
This brings us current as of Friday 1.20, I will keep this post current a events evolve.
Celia
IndiCooper
Olney, MD
Post #: 93
MoB has really gotten some mixed reviews, but usually the bad ones tend to be service related. And I would think that since MoB is trying to be such a big club supporter that the second you mention a club that they would really step up (not that it should take name dropping to get proper service).i hope everything works out in the end.
John (aka j.
user 9218440
York, PA
Post #: 5
An update on "Seriously???"

Tuesday, Jan. 24: Just heard from MoBC. They still haven't been able to get the car to malfunction so still no diagnosis. They're going to keep working on it, trying different things with the car to get it to malfunction.
Wednesday, Jan. 25: OK Kids, the verdict is in. I just got a call from MoBC and they are giving me a new car as they have not been able to solve the problem with mine. I am very thankful, I should probably be excited right now, but they can't get me the same car. There is a white one almost exactly like mine that they are checking on. I'm just a bit sad because I really liked my SURF BLUE! Oh well...looks like I'm going to have that StormCooper after all.

MoBC is also waving the 30 cents a mile that they are legally allowed to charge me for each mile on the loaner vehicle so that's nice.
It appears to be over, the replacement vehicle has yet to be delivered, but that should happen by weeks end.
By sticking to her guns an agreement was reached that will restore her sense of confidence when driving, and that she hopefully will not be waiting for hours for another tow.
John (aka j.
user 9218440
York, PA
Post #: 6
MoB has really gotten some mixed reviews, but usually the bad ones tend to be service related. And I would think that since MoB is trying to be such a big club supporter that the second you mention a club that they would really step up (not that it should take name dropping to get proper service).i hope everything works out in the end.

Latest from the owner of the Countryman:

After reading the thread on North American Motoring and all the people with the same issues getting zero results, I have to say that I am very grateful to MoBC for making things right for me. While I still wish I wouldn't have had to escalate things to get results, I appreciate them replacing the vehicle voluntarily. Although I probably would have met lemon law requirements eventually, it was so much nicer just signing a few papers and driving off in the new car (without having to go through legal BS). Many of the people who posted to NAM are still having problems and NONE of them have been able to get their car replaced or even returned for a refund. So, while it was a rocky start with MoBC and I'm still a little concerned that Mini hasn't resolved the countryman issues, I have to say I feel much better knowing that MoBC is willing to step up and make things right. cool

She is quite happy, is getting her windows tinted this Friday, and will be joining us for a run through southern York County on Feb 11! smile
Steve-LUXOR
LUXOR
Crofton, MD
Post #: 343
It's nice to hear that everything worked out for her. At any rate, it's unfortunate that she or anyone has to go through that kind of experience. And one would NEVER think they would have to when they buy a brand new vehicle not to mention the inconvenience and I suspect a lot of personal time that she had to take off from work, etc.