Central Maryland MINI Motorists Message Board MINIs on the Dragon 2012 (The 10th Anniversary) May 2-6 › Craft Beer Event (not the Brew Swap)

Craft Beer Event (not the Brew Swap)

A former member
Post #: 36
Does anyone else know about this?

So, earlier this year, the original creator of the Brew Swap started a thread stating that he was finally coming back to the Dragon, and that he wanted to do an special beer event. This event would feature much more rare and unique beer than what you would usually find at the Brew Swap. Of course I was all about it, as were a few others on NAM. Sadly, BrewSwapGuy (that is his handle, no lie) can not make it to the Dragon due do a conflict with his work schedule. So I stepped in and tried to save it; to not so much success. At this point, it is one other guy and myself. Admittedly, between the two of us, there will be more than enough to drink. However, I did quite a bit of shopping, and have amassed what I believe to be a pretty solid collection. Plus, the more the merrier.

I would like to know if there is anyone that would be interested in an event like this. I am more than willing to still have the event with the other guy, but I would like to see some more faces show up. So, if this sounds fun or interesting, by all means join. I would say you would only need to bring one bottle of something either rare, unique, or special. I will be bringing maybe three or four bottles, and it will be more like a tasting atmosphere than a drinking atmosphere.

If you don't like crazy beers, you may not really like these kinds of beers, but that's OK. After all, you only have to taste it. You don't have to drink a whole bottle. And we can give you tips on what to look for in the beers and what not.

Come drink expensive beer for minimal cost!

Shopping guide:
If you don't know what would constitute a special beer, it can be difficult to shop for it (duh). If you go to a big or craft type beer/wine/liquor store, like Total Wine and More (Formerly Total Beverage), or maybe even Wegmans or Whole Foods, you will probably have good luck asking someone in the store. However, a good rule of thumb would be:

If it comes in a 750ml bottle, you are on the right track. If it has a cork, even better.

Hope to see some people there!
A former member
Post #: 37
In all of my excitement, I forgot to tell you guys when we are having the event.

It will be on Wednesday after the Welcome Dinner. Perfect time for some after dinner drinks ;)
Josh T.
Frederick, MD
Post #: 4
I can't do much sampling since I'm staying in Robbinsville and will need to drive, but count me in. I'll bring my last bottle of homebrew (a belgian/american pale ale), which is definitely rare. I've got a few interesting choices in my fridge (Sixpoint Resin, Flying Dog Wildeman), and maybe I'll pickup something else

Is the brewswap more of a drinking event or swap and take home?
A former member
Post #: 38
The brew swap is a little bit of both. I believe it was designed to be a swap and take home type of event, and that is the majority of what goes on; but a lot of people are imbibing at the event as well. Karaoke is immediately after the brew swap, so some people are pre-gaming for that. Other people are just drinking because they feel like it. There is a little bit of tasting at the brew swap as well.

From what I understand, this event that I have taken oven was more of a tasting. A few ounces or less of each kinda thing. Maybe some pretzels and other snacks like that.
Josh T.
Frederick, MD
Post #: 5
Sounds good. Thanks for organizing this!
A former member
Post #: 39
No problem. I wish I could take the credit, but I merely saved it from an early death. smile

We still need more people btw. I'm only bringing 3 bottles, but I don't think three people could finish them without passing out. Let alone whatever the other two people bring.