Central Maryland MINI Motorists Message Board IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MINI › Brake Pads & Rotors

Brake Pads & Rotors

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello MINI Family!!!

First time poster here. Just purchased my darling "Betty" quite recently (2006 MCS Convertible), and my brake light came on yesterday. Now, I'm quite easy on my brakes. I'm at the decelerated end of the spectrum that plays games with themselves in traffic counting how many times I hit the brakes. This minimal padding and rotor wear is no work of mine, I swear!!!

Regardless, I had to move fast on this for a number of reasons (bought it in TX and need an MD state inspection before my temp tags expire). So, after my first quote from Firestone of $427 for pads, rotors, and labor, I went desperately searching for 2nd opinions and better deals. Coming to mechanic #2, I was told the rotors did NOT need to be replaced, and they would do the pads and sensor for $185, and I talked them down to $165. Huzzah!!! I asked what brand they'll use, and they said Textar. I know Textar isn't a high-performance brand, but I don't take Betty on the track, and I thought the Redstuffs or Hawk might be a bit overkill (esp since I'm short on cash from the holidays!!!).

What I'm curious about for future reference, does this club ever get together as a group to work on Minis together? I didn't have the time to spare this time, but I'd love to learn more about the mechanics of the vehicle, and maybe master a simple task or two like an oil change. I'm a fast learner, and happy to bring a six-pack to refresh us in the throes of our grease-monkeying wink Anyone get together for such meetups?

Rachel
Bill K.
OhBe1
Edgewater, MD
Post #: 20
Hi Rachel!
Relatively new here myself, but with the same question re tech days.
Re brake pads, I've been very happy with Axxis Ultimates (nice initial grab even at low temps) and StopTech Street compound but on different vehicles. Both are very dusty.
Bill K.
OhBe1
Edgewater, MD
Post #: 28
FWIW, I have reasonably level asphalt and shade trees...