Central Maryland MINI Motorists Message Board THE LIVING ROOM › Been away too long

Been away too long

Tim E.
Cleveland_Slide
Crofton, MD
Post #: 18
As fate would have it, every time I would schedule to go to an event, something always came up. Usually maintenance related. So I took this year and bit the bullet so to speak. The 2003 Z3 got a complete new front suspension and I fixed all of its oil leaks. The MINI has it's head at a machine shop at the moment. My vacuum pump did not seize but pumped oil into the vacuum system. The valve cover went south also. I cleaned the valves last fall and they built up carbon deposits due to all the oil getting into the intake. Next fall I am planning on doing the lower end. Looking forward to next springs runs biggrin
Tim E.
Cleveland_Slide
Crofton, MD
Post #: 20
Good News,

For the first time in a while, my R56 is breathing life again. I have to put on all the trim and such, give her cooling system a good burp and should be good to go. I drove it up and down the street and her engine is quite responsive. Here is the list of repairs I performed after 130K miles.

Timing chain and gears (they were original - may intake camshaft I estimate was about 10 degrees retarded)
The valve train is a bit quieter now!
New head solenoid
New vacuum pump
New free flow exhaust system including downpipe (CNT out of California)
Valve job and resurface the head (required 8 exhaust guides)

So far so good.
Mark S.
user 30674472
Bowie, MD
Post #: 3
Glad to hear your motoring again!