Central Maryland MINI Motorists Message Board THE LIVING ROOM › Intake values carbonized

Intake values carbonized

Jarry
user 138103262
Crofton, MD
Post #: 1
Hi,

This is Jarry new member as of today I came across your website a little over three weeks ago and that it was great, I could really use some help feedback and the options of members who have been Mini owner much longer than I have, I've only been an owner for less than three months but my Mini had been the shop sense Feb 22, 2014, as of today I'm being told by an independent Mini service center that It's not uncommon for Mini to have carbon buildup in the intake values and that my Mini is way beyond a gas additive it needs to have the intake values cleaned and the intake values timing reset to factory specs, I'm looking at $1200.00 it seems that the previous owner ran the wrong grade of fuel in the Mini it's a 2008 Clubman S turbo, I do have picture, I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had to deal with this issue and just one shade some light on this for me as I know that all of have much more experience with Mini and I respect that. Look forward to hearing from you if nothing else let me know that I didn't make a mistake I really love my Mini even I've been with it for some weeks now. Much appreciated, Jarry
Bill K.
OhBe1
Edgewater, MD
Post #: 43
I'll assume that you meant "valves" (autocorrect is a pain sometimes). Valve cleaning and adjustment for $1200 probably is what one would expect to pay from a dealer. I don't think it's critical unless there's a lot of noise, loss of power or increase in fuel use.
Someone with more experience should chime in at this point.
Mark M.
user 14072038
Crofton, MD
Post #: 6
I agree with Bill. I've heard of the problem but I don't think its uncommon in tweaked engines my 1995 M3 had a note in the owners manual warning about the octane and if the car was driven in heavy traffic it would need to be wound up to clear the valves.(First time I'd ever seen that in a owners manual). If it's running ok I'd do the additive, I use Lubomoly valve clean and liquidly jectron injection cleaner alternating months. Save up for the cleaning.
Bill K.
OhBe1
Edgewater, MD
Post #: 44
It's worse with direct injection (2010+?). Fuel, and thus valve cleaner fluid if you add it to the tank, is not cleaning the valves. So the dealer cleans the valves with - I don't make this up - ground walnut shells.
Maybe some cleaner - Seafoam, etc - might help if injected into the intake manifold via a vacuum port, on a regular basis before the valves get gummy again.
ZugZugMcD
user 10044670
Pasadena, MD
Post #: 151
I owned a 2008 Clubman S and had to have the dealer (Annapolis) perform the walnut blasting. It was at the point where the engine would stall. After the cleaning the car ran very well. I talked the service manager down a couple of hundred $ and paid just under $1000. Never hurts to ask.