align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Central Maryland MINI Motorists Message Board IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MINI › Mini Cooper Clutches

Mini Cooper Clutches

Gary B.
user 51545422
Germantown, MD
Post #: 12
Folks,

Need your advise. I was returning to Germantown from visiting my daughter in York, PA, when the clutch on my 08 Clubman S stopped working, PERIOD/NADA/ NOT DRIVEABLE. The tow to Mini of Montgomery, the closest dealer, cost $176 from Emmittsburg, MD. The Car was bought used with 23K miles on it about 20 months ago and it now has 37.4K miles. I have a 2 year extended warranty but it looks like the clutch is not covered. Just how badly screwed am I? Has any else had this problem with Mini clutches? This is not my 1st manual transmission and I do not ride the clutch or even drive in rush hour traffic. Your thoughts and comments?
Bill K.
OhBe1
Edgewater, MD
Post #: 46
There's been much debate on NAM as to the worth of the extended warrantee, especially re the clutch. Some dealers cover it, some don't. Which helps you not a whit. You could contact corporate, but I expect you'll get blown off.
We're there ANY symptoms prior to failure? Mine had a sudden stuck-in-reverse problem, 500 miles from home, that fixed itself the next morning, confounded Naptown's diagnosis, and never recurred. Initially i suspected the hill-holder, but I can't see any input to the clutch from the computer.
I'd suggest trying it again at the dealer. If it works, trade it in...
Will S
LostDenverite2
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 17
Assuming you have the extended maintenance warranty through MINI(?) the clutch is covered, however you didn't state which component of the clutch failed. I believe the specific part makes a difference. I have an '11 Clubman and when I purchased my extended maintenance warranty through MINI they said the clutch was covered (although I couldn't find it listed in the "upgrade agreement" I signed).
Alicyn D.
TiggerSCooper
Arlington, VA
Post #: 27
Assuming you have the extended maintenance warranty through MINI(?) the clutch is covered, however you didn't state which component of the clutch failed. I believe the specific part makes a difference. I have an '11 Clubman and when I purchased my extended maintenance warranty through MINI they said the clutch was covered (although I couldn't find it listed in the "upgrade agreement" I signed).
Will is correct the MINI extended maintenance warranty does cover the clutch. My husband had his replaced on his JCW and it was under the warranty, I think he had around 30ish thousand miles on it. They said it's to be expected with JCW clutches though.

I had to replace the clutch on my 06 at around 26k, and it was covered. I just replaced it again at 95k and paid a mechanic to do it for me.
Will S
LostDenverite2
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 18
EDIT: of course right after I hit enter I found the text in my agreement. It states the "clutch disc" is covered. As stated above this *may* exclude other clutch-related components.
Gary B.
user 51545422
Germantown, MD
Post #: 13
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your feedback.
Here is the kicker, The extended warranty is sold by the dealership but is not thru Mini. It is with Fidelity!!!!
This is my 4th car with a stick, I have never replaced a clutch before 80K miles. A Car of Mini's supposed quality should not have this problem!
My next question is should I replace it with the standard clutch or ask them for an upgrade to a JCW clutch, which I hope is stronger?
Maybe I need to paid more attention to the Subaru WRX ads ore look into the new Golf GTI?
Will S
LostDenverite2
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 19
That's odd. I don't even recall my MINI dealership giving me an option of going through somebody else. Very odd that they didn't offer you theirs (and only theirs).

30+ years of driving and I've only ever owned one car that wasn't a stick. I've never replaced one under 100K.

Good luck with your battle.
Alicyn D.
TiggerSCooper
Arlington, VA
Post #: 28
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your feedback.
Here is the kicker, The extended warranty is sold by the dealership but is not thru Mini. It is with Fidelity!!!!
This is my 4th car with a stick, I have never replaced a clutch before 80K miles. A Car of Mini's supposed quality should not have this problem!
My next question is should I replace it with the standard clutch or ask them for an upgrade to a JCW clutch, which I hope is stronger?
Maybe I need to paid more attention to the Subaru WRX ads ore look into the new Golf GTI?

The JCW clutch will not last longer. They told my husband that 30,000 miles is about standard for one. I got 60,000 out of my S clutch. I've driven a standard for 30 years, I'm very easy on the clutch too. I do drive to DC and back every day so I know that doesn't help, but I just wanted to let you know about the JCW clutch.

Also MINI sells two kinds of warranties the extended power train warranty and the maintenance warranty. The Maintenance warranty will cover the clutch, the power train warranty does not.

My husband bought the maintenance warranty simply because it cost the same amount as the clutch and he knew his was going and the warranty was about to expire. It paid for itself in the first repair and then he used it for brakes.

Anyway, my point is that my understanding of the JCW clutch is that it will wear FASTER than the regular clutch.

Ali
Mark M.
user 14072038
Crofton, MD
Post #: 7
I'm not sure abut the 30000 clutch for a JCW. I have a 103000 and it's not slipping a bit. Now if u want to talk dual mass fly wheel that's another story mine has been bad since 40000 but the teck said wait until you can't shift as it's $$$ to replace.
Alicyn D.
TiggerSCooper
Arlington, VA
Post #: 29
I know several JCWs that had theirs replaced pretty early. I could have sworn the dealer told us that they don't last as long. You're doing great with all those miles on any MINI clutch