Looking for a friendly group of intermediate-to-advanced tennis players? SPG Tennis was organized in 1974 to meet that need. Then in 2013, we created the "Central NJ Tennis Meet-Up Group" to publicize the tennis activities SPG members enjoy so much.
SPG plays outdoors during the summer, April 16 to October 30, 2016. We have weekend play on Saturday and Sunday mornings from 9 am to 1 pm on eight courts at 1295 Inman Ave in Edison, New Jersey 08820. Click here for driving directions.
At times, Wardlaw’s courts are unavailable for outdoor play. On those occasions, SPG members often move to Kramer Park in Scotch Plains to play. This is a public venue and it is not an “officially sanctioned SPG event.” You have to provide your own balls and share the courts with local residents. Some SPG members also play at Kramer on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and some brave the cold and play on Saturdays and Sundays between November and March, as well.
Directions to Kramer Park: The Park is located off of South Martine Avenue in Scotch Plains. You may not find this on MapQuest. Kramer is roughly two miles from the Scotch Plains exit of Rt. 22 at Snuffy’s Restaurant (near the Blue Star shopping center). From Fanwood center (the intersection of South Avenue, a.k.a. NJ Route 28, and Martine Ave.), head southeast on South Martine Ave. Go roughly half a mile. Then look for Congregation Beth Israel on your left, on the corner of Shalom Way, a.k.a. Cliffwood St. Turn left into Shalom Way and drive to the end. (Shalom Way is between Evelyn St. And Mary Ellen Lane).
Joining SPG is a great, affordable way to play tennis with others at your level and meet new people.
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't let a very-low RSVP sign up number on the Meet-Up site discourage you from attending. Long-time SPG members don't sign up -- they just show up.
Please be sure to observe the following rules every time you walk onto a SPG tennis court.
• Anytime that you cross a court or open a gate please stop and look first. Make sure that play is stopped and that the server has finished BOTH serves first.
• Keep the noise level to a minimum so that you do not disturb the other courts.
• If your ball rolls on another court and could cause an injury to a player, please yell out "LET"...
• If a ball is out, please call out, point out, or raise your racket to indicate the point is over and the ball was out.
• At the end of each play-date, please pick up any loose balls, bottles, cans, etc and dispose of them. We want to remain a favorable customer to Wardlaw.
• SPG has specific rules for when players are waiting. These rules are on the website listed under guidelines. Please familiarize yourselves with the rules. The waiting players need to be players ready and eager to play.