The Resilient Gardener is both a conceptual and a hands-on gardening book for all levels of experience. Optimistic as well as realistic, Deppe offers invaluable advice for gardeners (and their communities) to flourish. Scientist and expert gardener Carol Deppe draws from emerging science in many fields to develop the general principles of gardening for resilience. Gardeners will learn through Deppe's detailed instructions on growing, storing, and using the five crops central to self-reliance: potatoes, corn, beans, squash, and eggs, as well as our garden favorites.
Learn how to:
- Grow food in an era of wild weather and climate change
- Garden with little to no irrigation or "store-bought" inputs
- Garden efficiently and comfortably (even with a bad back)
- Customize your garden to deal with special dietary needs or a need for weight control
- Make breads and cakes from home-grown corn using original gluten-free recipes (with no other grains, artificial binders, or dairy products)
- Keep a laying flock of ducks or chickens, integrate them with your gardening, and grow most of their feed
And more . . .
Winner of About.com's Reader's Choice Award: Best Garden Book Since 2010 * Selected by Amazon.com as one of the Top 10 Books of 2010 in the Home and Gardening Category!
10 - 10:30 will be social time with potluck breakfast snacks!