Central Oregon Primitive Skills Message Board › Central Oregon Primitive Skills 2014

Central Oregon Primitive Skills 2014

Greg B.
user 21372261
Group Organizer
Sisters, OR
I wanted to take this opportunity to wish all of you a happy new year and share with you some of the things we are planning for the first half of this year.
1.  Take it with you, then take it away.
In this event you'll load your backpack with all the things you would take on a 3 or 4 day trip. Then start taking things away, your tent, matches, sleeping bag ect... We'll help you find out what you can do without, and how to improvise.
2.   Glass Butte Knapp-in
Every year in the 3rd week of March, knappers from all over the country come to Oregon's Glass Butte to collect rock and break it together. This was started many years ago by Jim Riggs, the Grandfather of the "naked into the woods" movement, and is still happening every March. This is a chance to knapp with some of the best knappers in the country.
3. Build a village
This will be an opportunity to camp primitive, use what we've been learning and put on workshops for various primitive skills. I would love to see this become the Central Oregon's version of "rabbit stick".
These are just a few things I'm thinking about. I would love to see group grow and become a valuable resource for education in traditional primitive outdoor skills.
I am looking at bumping up the number of events to 2 a month. Currently I have born the cost of this website and the time to organize. I need to make some changes to keep this doable. I'm thinking of charging $5.00 a month membership due, or a fee for each event. I would be grateful to have your thoughts on this matter. Please weigh in on the discussion board, or email me.
Best wishes for the new year,
Greg Booth
user 116828982
Sisters, OR
Post #: 1
where will you put all the stuff that is taken out of packs Greg?
Greg B.
user 21372261
Group Organizer
Sisters, OR
Post #: 21
Everything stays with you, you take it away as you find primitive solutions to its absence. So, for instance, if you fail to get your friction fire going, then use your matches. Day by day you are trying to get by with less. I'll help you work out your strategy. As you succeed, move on to the next thing.