Central Texas River Runners Message Board › Flood Damage on San Marcos

Flood Damage on San Marcos

John C.
John-C
Group Organizer
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 18
Email from Jim R:

A San Antonio Saturday Paddler Gal paddled 11/9/13 and wrote this report. I saw some San Antonio Paddlers are bringing tools on 11/16/13 to clear barriers from CR101 10am put-in (upstream from S.M. River Retreat) to Sculls.

The following is Susan's trip report from last Saturday 11/9/13 on the San Marcos after the flood:

we started in City Park . The water was up about a foot from what we 've been used to lately. T-island ,
obstacles became increasingly frequent, and we came upon flotsam that completely blocked the river in a rather deep part, so we found a place to get out and portaged to the left, but we couldn't find a place shallow enough to get back into the river next to the high muddy bank for quite a walk later. we were resigned to the mud that now covered us. So we dodged obstacles frequently from then on, including two trees that were upright in the river, where the bank had just dropped into the river. But we were able to get around them. where the Blanco meets the San Marcos, we entered a new zone of disaster. Much of the brush on River left was completely flattened, exposing the field. However, we saw the massive destruction on river right as we approached Cummings Dam, where big logs had damaged many of the beautiful trees in that private park; and as we approached Cummings Dam we could see that there was huge log on top of the dam's edge, and trees had jammed up to the floor of that little room.

a huge tree completely blocked the path down from the Dam. We had to climb down the trellis . Below, new gravel bars in strange places. After that the trip,was uneven tuft, except for the muddiness of the takeout at CR101, which has a new and more convenient gravel take out.
John C.
John-C
Group Organizer
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 19
I’ve paddled from Westerfield to Sculls twice since the flood. There’s are a few branches and strainers that intrude into the current here and there, but overall, the river is clear enough to paddle. There are no blockages. Don’s Fish Camp had several buses go downstream. There were three of them upstream of Sculls two weeks ago, but two of them have been removed. Water flow was high enough this last Tuesday to turn the rapids into wave trains. It probably made them easier to run as well.

Tom Goynes had water up to his house, and his camp was apparently pretty torn up. He, Paula and friends have done a lot of work, and it looked much better by Tuesday. TG Canoe seemed to be ok, though Shady Grove RV Park was a muddy mess. I’m not sure how Pat Spencer fared.
A former member
Post #: 7
John and I paddled down from City Park to Westerfield (county line) Tuesday 11/19. Two major obstructions in the area at and below Thompson's Island. BE CAREFUL!! These are full channel strainers! Possible to go over logs, but could be hazardous to novice boaters. Current smacks the 1st strainer pretty good. 2nd strainer has slow current, but is a precarious lift over for the boats.
Cummings Dam has huge debris pile on river right. Foot trail along the right side wall is totally covered up. The wood ladder for sliding your boat down the dam face is still there. Best option is to carefully climb down the ladder yourself. On our way out we met Duane from TG Canoes going in with a chainsaw. He only had one tank of gas mix and there is a huge amount of lumber to clear. So........ as soon as this weather front clears away. Let's start thinking about putting together some chainsaw parties. I vote we convert Wednesday paddle to start cutting some logs.
John C.
John-C
Group Organizer
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 20
Is Tuesday good for you, Paul? I'm busy Wednesday afternoon.