Official Website: http://www.colonialheightsva.gov/index.aspx?NID=498
OLD BRICK HOUSE
Built in 1685 by Richard Kennon, an English gentleman, it is considered the oldest brick house in the region, and thought by some to be the oldest in Virginia. The house is located on the promontory between Swift Creek and the Appomattox River, and was simply called “Brick House”. The peninsula on which it stands is often referred to as “Conjurer’s Neck”, because an old Indian conjurer used to live there. You can view a video, “The Old Brick House at Conjurer’s Neck”, at the official website for a complete history of the building and the area.
The property is owned and operated by the Old Brick House Foundation. Tour groups may arrange to have historic presentations. There is no admission fee for interior tours to the site or for exterior visits. However, please give a donation of $5 or more to help maintain the Old Brick House.
Special Occasion Rental
The Old Brick House may be rented for special occasions, such as weddings, wedding parties, family reunions, and other public events.
Location & Contact Info
131 Waterfront Drive
Colonial Heights, VA 23834
Please wear comfortable shoes as we will not only tour the interior of the Old Brick House, but we will tour the grounds, walk down to the Appomattox River access and view the prehistoric site of the former Indian village where the “Conjurer” lived.
OPTIONAL LUNCH IN NEARBY HISTORIC BUILDING IN PETERSBURG:
Hiram Haines Coffee & Ale House, 12 West Bank Street, Petersburg, VA 23803
Poe’s Honeymoon Retreat
This historic Coffee House began as a luxury hotel and “restorative” in 1814, operated by French émigré, Richard Rambaut and his young wife, the Countess de la Rochefoucauld. In 1829 it was taken over by Petersburg poet and editor of the American Constellation, Hiram Haines. Haines’ wife, Mary, was a childhood playmate of Edgar Allan Poe, and renewed their friendship when Poe moved to Richmond to edit the Southern Literary Messenger. Poe and Hiram Haines quickly became friends and Haines’ Coffee House soon became a gathering place for poets and journalists of the region. When Poe married his cousin Virginia Clemm in 1836, the suite of rooms upstairs provided an ideal honeymoon retreat. The couple is said to have stayed here for two weeks before returning to Richmond. Haines and Mary operated the coffee house until late in 1836 when, beset by financial problems, it closed. Haines died in 1841 at the age of 39. In 2010, after 174 years, his coffee house reopened, reflecting an atmosphere in which he and his friend Eddy would feel at home.