addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Lynette
user 10335420
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 3
I would not mind a donation jar or a fee for events, I was, and am still very happy to have found a group like this. Its not just a meet-up event for me, its a chance to meet new friends who share some of my thoughts and feelings towards animals and diet. Its a life style I choose and love. thanks Doug for starting the group and thanks Chuck & Robin for assisting...and thank you Vegans! <3
Phil A.
user 4388005
Crozet, VA
How about an annual call for contributions each January or whenever the renewal is due? That way the regulars who know they have benefitted and will continue to attend, can give whatever they like based on their financial empowerment. It will not take but a few $20 or $10 contributions to float the ship.

To simplify Meet-up administration, any excess funds received can automatically be applied to the following year's fee rather than returned proportionately to all contributors - a protocol stipulated in the annual invitation to contribute. We would all trust Doug to keep track of the carryover funds, or maybe the Meet-up facility would accept any excess funds now to offset the following year's fee.

I agree with item 2 not to charge a $10 membership fee which would discourage people who may not use the service often or who may not be able to afford the fee, and this would create the hassle of accounting, responding to request or expectation of prorated refunds, etc.

Same feeling about restaurant sponsorship - more time and attention soliciting and tracking sponsorship fees, and then we'll feel obligated to continue patronizing them all year with enough customers to make the sponsorship worthwhile. And some restaurants can ill afford more costs - like the Ming which is probably being run by immigrants and citizens to be.

A simple announcement might do the trick:

"It's the New Year and the annual Meet-UP utility fee of $144 for our Vegan Meet-up group is once again due. This has been paid in the past by our vegan rapscaion twinkie maker and meet-up founder, Doug Gellman, but many of us meet-uppers would like to share that financial burden.

Anyone who would like to contribute toward the $144 fee, in ANY amount, is welcome to send a check to (Doug's name and address) with the understanding that any funds collected in excess will automatically be applied to next year's Meet-Up fee. This no returns protocol is to keep our meetup administration simple and easy - no contributions will be returned.

No one is required to contribute - just if you feel you have benefitted or will benefit from the frequent Vegan Meet-up fun and fellowship and if you have the means.

Should the Vegan Meet-Up cease operation any residue funds will be contributed to an organization for animal welfare or human health advocacy through vegan nutrition.

Happy New Year to all and to all Life!"

Robin and Chuck, thanks for taking the initiative on this.
A former member
I think the above comment is a great idea!

It is even all typed up and ready to go! :)
Robin & Chuck F.
robinandchuck
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 20
I think Ellen, Phil & Chris' idea is perfect.

If it were me though, I would use PayPal as it would make tracking easy and keep it out of my bank account ;)
A former member
Post #: 1
Any of these proposed solutions would be fine with me, and I also wanted to say a special thanks to Doug for his generosity!
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Chrissy - there are no fees; as Doug mentioned, we're just merely trying to find ways to offset the cost he incurs every 6 months.

We hope you don't, but if you want to leave the group I found the instructions at this link.

I do like Doug's idea of a donation jar... although Doug could just open (and advertise) a PayPal account for us to send money to. That way a jar isn't staring at us all at the gatherings, which would make us then feel obliged to give.

Thank you for providing the link, I spent some time looking for a link & it wasn't clear.

Just to clarify my earlier post - I am not in the USA at the moment and not sure when I will return, I haven't ever attended any meetings yet because I don't live that close to CV & am to the south (meets I've seen tend to be to the north of CV) & although I'd love to attend a meet up sometime, I thought the idea of a monthly fee to be unfair & that it was probably time for me to unsubscribe from the group.

I can appreciate that using this meetup website costs money and I totally agree that Doug shouldn't pay more than his share of the cost. If the money had to be paid for by the members, then I'd be happy to 'pay as I go' at each meeting, after all it would probably amount to less than 1% of cost of any meal etc. However, I'm surprised that nobody seems to have considered that $144 a year could be easily obtainable from the businesses who benefit from patronage of a special interest group like this - especially since we have this website to advertise their businesses on, by providing honest feedback about how good their service/products are.

This seems a very good group of people, I've been a member of vegan groups for many years & do hope I can attend at least one meeting sometime in 2011. Best wishes, Chrissysmile

Tom D.
user 13053830
Nellysford, VA
Post #: 4
I am just seeing this. I agree we should pitch in if we are able too and if one can't that is fine. I wonder how other meetup groups do it? I am up for a jar for each event, or PayPal what ever is easier.