addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Joanne C.
user 8817202
Earlysville, VA
Post #: 1
Does anyone have any information oh how to start an organic vegetable garden?
thank you
Joanne
Doug G.
VeganGuy
Group Organizer
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 14
Hi Joanne,

I have a raised-bed Organic vegetable garden in a 1,000 sq. ft. fenced in area, and have had many successes and failures over the years. If you are just starting out, I recommend starting small. My favorite resources are books by Elliot Coleman and Mel Bartholemeu. Mel's books simplifly how to organic garden minimally, and they are straight forward and easy to read. Once you have an established garden, Elliot Coleman goes into more depth and into the nuances of having an organic garden year-round.

Phil Anderson, who is a member of our group, seems to have a knack for finding out about gardening workshops in our area, which seem to be plentiful. Also, contacting the Master Gardener's organization in our area proves to be a great resource. Lastly, Edible Landscaping Nursery in Afton, although focused more on trees than vegetables, is an organic nursery and a great resource as well.

Good Luck!

-Doug
David V.
user 11309690
Stanardsville, VA
Post #: 1
Dearest Joanne,

We have a Community Organic gardening project here 15 minutes away from Earlysville as well as a full time professional gardener and tiller. You are welcome to come visit, learn and see what we are doing. Call if you would like. 434-985-7895 David
Joanne C.
user 8817202
Earlysville, VA
Post #: 2
Doug,
Thank you very much for this most helpful information!
Joanne
Joanne C.
user 8817202
Earlysville, VA
Post #: 3
Dear David,
Thank you!!!
This sounds wonderful!!!
Joanne
Phil A.
user 4388005
Crozet, VA
Post #: 5
Hi Joanne, I recommend two books which lay out everything to do, step by step, for a sustainable, near-self-sufficient garden:

How to Grow More Vegetables by John Jeavons, Ecology Action: uses the bio-intensive method. suggestion: instead of digging the beds by hand get a farmer plow them, or better, use a tiller to for sinking the bed, then add dirt over top to make a raised bed. John has developed a system of gardening to support 7.8 people on a vegan diet on only one acre!

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Ed Smith

For some more in depth reading, see Eliot Coleman's "The New Organic Grower".

There is a local bio-intensive expert and educator who has some great videos on the biointensive method: Cindy Connor. Website:

http://homeplaceearth...­
Robin & Chuck F.
robinandchuck
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 23

I have a raised-bed Organic vegetable garden in a 1,000 sq. ft. fenced in area, and have had many successes and failures over the years. If you are just starting out, I recommend starting small. My favorite resources are books by Elliot Coleman and Mel Bartholemeu. Mel's books simplifly how to organic garden minimally, and they are straight forward and easy to read. Once you have an established garden, Elliot Coleman goes into more depth and into the nuances of having an organic garden year-round.

Hey Doug - How about holding a small workshop/discussion/show-off this spring? I know Robin and I were more than impressed and inspired after seeing your garden!

Chuck