Adam K.
user 112660752
Columbus, OH
Post #: 1
So, I have dove into all-grain brewing, and it's not really all that hard (just time consuming). I'm a definite newbie, but I'd be more than willing to discuss the basics with anyone that has an interest! This could possibly be a future meeting idea! Thoughts, comments?
Matt S.
user 62317872
Richwood, OH
Post #: 13
I'm in. For sure.
Adam K.
user 112660752
Columbus, OH
Post #: 2
So, Lizzy and I have been discussing having a "show and brew" at our place (or anywhere that has plumbing, allows open flames, and doesn't mind that we are creating an alcoholic beverage) sometime in January or February. We'd figure cabin fever will have set in by then.

I would explain and show the brewing process, which takes about 4-5 hours, and hopefully have beer already fermenting separately so y'all can see what a funky creature beer is!

Let me know your thoughts, ideas, etc. and we will try to make this happen!
Leah M.
LeahLyndell
Richwood, OH
Post #: 21
That sounds great! I've been trying to come up with some good winter activities and this would be perfect. If you are comfortable inviting people to your place we can do that--if not, we can help search for an appropriate venue. Whichever you prefer!

Since it sounds like it will be a longer demonstration, maybe you could start a little earlier in the day and ask people to pack a lunch or something like that.

I'll talk to Matt and see if he has any ideas/thoughts too.
Adam K.
user 112660752
Columbus, OH
Post #: 3
Lizzy and I have talked about this a bit more... we're more than happy to have people over, and were thinking about perhaps a pot-luck type thing. My goal is to have some beer already fermenting so everyone can see what that looks like, and to have some home made brews chilled for sampling. A typical all-grain brew session lasts around 4-5 hours, but 90% of the action happens within a couple hours so meeting mid-morning would put us at lunch while the wort (unfermented beer) is chilling.

I've also been experimenting with making kvass (Russian fermented beverage made from stale bread) and have had great results, and will go over the basics of that since it is MUCH simpler than brewing ordinary beer (and the equipment is basically free too, if you cook on any regular basis).

Like mentioned previously, I'd love to do this in January of February, so y'all should let me know what is a good weekend day to do this sort of thing!
Adam K.
user 112660752
Columbus, OH
Post #: 4
Update:

We are thinking of January 19th at or around 10 am as a potential date for having the "show and brew." We'll make some vegetarian chili, and I encourage y'all to bring a finger food or something to share.

If you plan on coming, please provide your input as to whether or not the day/time works for you. We're flexible!

In the meantime, check out the blog if you're interested in kvass:

http://brewingkvass.b...­
Leah M.
LeahLyndell
Richwood, OH
Post #: 23
January 19th sounds great! I will post it as an upcoming meetup with start time at 10am--any idea as to end time? I don't have to set one, but I'd like to give people a general idea of how long the meetup will last. Also, please send me an e-mail with your address (I will only make it visible to those who've RSVP'd).

Thanks again, looking forward to it!!