addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Central Phoenix Writing Workshop Message Board › What do I do if I want to start a new or different type of writing meeting o

What do I do if I want to start a new or different type of writing meeting or group?

Geoff
user 4198045
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 80
I get a lot of emails requesting that I create new or different types of meetings. I'd like to give you a general overview of how to get a new meeting started.

Please remember, that this organization is run entirely on a volunteer basis, across three separate meetup groups. This means that I will probably ask YOU to take the reigns on any new meetings or ideas. However, I will support you in any way I can.

Requirements:
- I am unlikely to be interested in accommodating a request if you have only attended one or two meetings. This is a community based organization based on social capital and reliability.
- I am not interested in changing the structure our existing open meetings. It is a successful format for their purpose based on experience. However, I am aware that some meetings are regularly over capacity and that the value of critique varies from meeting to meeting, and will be happy to support new meetings of various types. If you have a specific concern regarding an existing meeting or the moderator, feel free to email me.
- However, we are open to running additional meetings in different styles, such as small groups (6-8 people) who email ahead of time, and other variations or specialties.

Different ways to pitch your idea to get things started:
1. Email me directly. If you are willing to moderate the meeting, you will find me very responsive. We can always use more moderators. I may have some advice on how to do things, but will work to best accommodate your goals.
2. Speak with your moderator. The moderators of the Central Phoenix Writing workshop and West Valley Critique group work as a team and have the authority to help you get a meeting off the ground. They will notify me if you should become a moderator. The East Valley moderators work more independently, so for that group you may need to contact me directly instead.
3. Suggest a meetup on our page. I have not seen any get off the ground this way as of yet, so if you choose this way, make sure to encourage others to RSVP and support the meeting. It requires 3 total to start a meeting this way.
4. You can even start your own meetup group independently of mine. This won't hurt my feelings. I focus my meetups on where our strengths lie. There are some meeting types that I just don't have the organizational ability/time to do, or may find that scheduling three separate meetings in the same group on Wednesday night is simply unfeasible. Meetup dues for your own group are $144 a year. If you ask, I may even announce YOUR meetup to my groups, because there's more demand for good writing groups than my groups could possibly provide.

Getting started:
- You will meet with me or another moderator in person to discuss the details of your meeting. I tend to prefer face to face, and will drive across the valley to do so. The details will include type of meeting, frequency, location, etc.
- We will help schedule your first meeting, or will advise you of any potential concerns to do so. You will also be given authority to manage your meeting on the site around this time. (If you ever have trouble managing or changing the details on a meeting, you can always ask me to help.)
- One of us will usually attend your first few meetings to help organize and help you get the meeting off the ground. However, we are not always able to do so.
- You will also be invited to moderators' meetings. This generally will occur quarterly in the Central Phoenix area.