I didn't imagine when I set out to start Charleston Women's Writing Circle that so many women would sign up so quickly. It is inspiring and exciting!
We have nine, possibly ten, members so far. This makes for a large group, but we can easily split into two groups if need be.
We will meet on the first and third Tuesday of the month starting Tuesday, October 15. I hope everyone will honor the commitment and attend the circle regularly. In any event, please RSVP for each meeting. Initially we will meet at my home. Should we decide to meet every week, that would be fine by me, but I realize that is a big commitment.
Everyone must feel safe in the group, so we will follow these rules:
• We arrive on time, and we write and read for two hours.
• We stop on time.
• Socializing is reserved for the last 30 minutes starting at 9:00.
• We maintain the confidentiality of the group.
• We listen to the reader and give positive feedback about the writing, not the writer. We don't offer advice to or console the writer. We think of the writing as fiction.
• The writer listens to feedback without response. Remember, this is first draft writing. There will be the good, the bad, and the ugly. We give only positive feedback: What do we like about this writing?
• Writers will come with their own writing materials.
• If a member of our circle has a draft of a piece for which they would like critical feedback, we can schedule one meeting per month to accommodate this.
• Initially I will provide the prompts.
Please communicate with me if you realize this is not the group for you, or if you have questions or concerns.
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on October 15!
Because writing matters,