Charleston Craft Crew Message Board › Need ideas...

Need ideas...

Kelly
user 22350711
Charleston, SC
Post #: 1
Hello all,

I know I haven't been to a meet up yet, but this looks like a really cool group.
I thought I would throw this out there to all of you creative minds and perhaps somebody could help me...

This July I am getting married in a somewhat non-traditional location (for a wedding ceremony) and since I am not going to be in a church, I would really like to place a cross at the front of the room. It is indoors - no need to worry about weather or wind, but it cannot be hung on the wall - it would need to be free standing. I am not especially picky about what type of material is used to make it... just as long as it doesn't fall over in the middle of the "I-do's" :-)

I suppose I'm looking for something maybe about 5 feet tall free standing, or something shorter that could be placed on a small table/pedestal if it looked good.

I'm open to ideas!!! If anyone can think of anything, please let me know!! If someone is able to create something, or knows someone who is, I am willing to pay for materials plus labor. I don't have a huge budget, but I want to be fair if someone can help me....

I have looked at buying them and the cheapest one I can find is a 3" wooden cross for almost $400.... and the prices just keep rising... up into the thousands....

It doesn't need to be wood... I'm willing to listen to anyone's thoughts.... just as long as it doesn't look like two sticks nailed together... I need something decent and somewhat formal looking.

Thanks!!!

Kelly

LMMjb4@gmail.com

Joy
user 7578279
Group Organizer
Charleston, SC
Post #: 1
Hi Kelly!

Welcome to the group!

I'm sure there are some more creative ways to do this, but honestly, at first thought I think your best bet would definitely be wood. The reasons being that it's going to be pretty inexpensive (especially compared to those prices you've quoted), super easy and give you a polished finished product. For example, if you wanted to go with just a classic, simple yet elegant cross like the this one: http://design-milk.co...­ (this is actually a sofa, lol, but just look at the cross on top for an example of the size and shape), it'd be pretty easy to do.

This is how I'd go about it. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and you're only going to need to end up with a total of three pieces of wood. If you give them the measurements, they'll cut the pieces right there for you. You run the risk of the wood not being perfectly cut but you can also sand them down yourself. However, with just three cuts I'm sure they'll be fine. Then, I'd just get some heavy duty wood glue (I'm thinking Gorilla Glue makes a good wood glue) and glue the two sides to the middle piece. Then I'd still go ahead and sand the whole thing down and prime/paint it.

And if you wanted it to have a base, that would just be one more piece of thick wood that you'd need. And again, I'd just glue the cross to base with wood glue. You can also secure all the pieces of wood by hammering nails diagonally in the pieces of wood on the back of the cross.

If go to Lowes website and search for "treated lumber," that's probably what I'd get. You could also do a thinner version using plywood. Here are some instructions and useful tips (like crosses usually have a 1:3 ratio) if you want to go that route. http://www.ehow.com/h...­

Also, here's a guy who builds his own crosses. You can maybe get some inspiration and instructions. http://thecrossweb.co...­

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Joy