Ride length: 12.5 mile total (out and back)
Ride level: easy
Pace: easy (social) 9-10 mph
Elevation gain/loss: +455 ft / -455 ft.
Start time: 6:45 pm
Duration: 2 ~ 2.5 hours
Terrain: asphalt, concrete
Bikes suitable for this ride: all types
** A headlight and a tail light are required for this ride **
We'll meet in front of BikeSource bicycle shop and ride 100 yards over to the greenway trail head. Then we'll head north on the greenway, passing through Freedom Park, take a lap or two around the park lake, and continuing through Midtown Park, Thompson Park and Alexander Street Park. We will then ride the bikes lanes of North Davidson Street to Amelies French Bakery, where we'll stop 30 minutes or so for coffee and pastries before heading back.
WEATHER POLICY: Ride is cancelled if it is raining or the temperature is below 32F at 6:45pm. If the ride is cancelled, I will send out a cancellation message to the e-mail address that you registered with on Meetup - so make sure you check that e-mail account before coming. In addition, if the ride is cancelled I will add a cancellation message in the section below.
Description: When complete, the greenway will feature over 19 miles of trails and land connectors, from Toby Creek Greenway on North Tryon Street to Cordelia Park just north of uptown. The greenway will continue through the urban section and on to the South Carolina state line, conveniently linking Central Piedmont Community College, Carolina Healthcare System and the Park Road and Carolina Place shopping areas among many other destinations.
A space for quiet reflection or a social hot spot, the greenway will be built with the diversity that has Charlotte/Mecklenburg in mind. The walker, jogger, tourist, nature lover, bench sitter or cyclist will delight in this path that connects us all. Urban Little Sugar Creek also includes a major stream restoration project to enhance water quality.
• A headlight and tail light are required for this ride. You will need a headlight that is capable of illuminating the area in front of your bike.
• Terrain: Our ride will be on asphalt, concrete and also crossing some neighborhood streets.
• Restrooms are available at our rest stop, mile 6.
• Please bring plenty of water, spare tire tube, money for rest stop and snacks if needed.
• Bike helmets are mandatory on all rides; gloves, eye protection, bright clothing, and a bike lock are recommended.
• We will be parking near front of BikeSource Charlotte in the Park Rd. Shopping Center.
• If chance of thunderstorms, ride will be rescheduled.
Map of ride route (MapMyRide)
Map of ride route (RideWithGPS)
Click here for information about the Greenway.
Phone or text Maurice at[masked], if needed or not attending (Day of ride ONLY, please)