Charlotte Unity Game Dev Message Board › My first 3D attempt with Unity

My first 3D attempt with Unity

Dan R.
user 2401446
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 33
Hey Everyone,

I've finally embarked on my 3D journey today with Unity. This is my first test scene that you can walk through with a 1st person view. Have a look...

Use the mouse to look in different directions. Use the WASD keys to move. Use the spacebar to jump. I carved a grassy trail in the large mountain so you can climb to the top (see picture). Use the jump button to help you climb.

http://freecloud.com/...­
A former member
Post #: 1
The level played nicely. There were two things I wanted to mention; first the mouse control was a little off, with the vertical axis being far too sensitive and the horizontal axis not sensitive enough. Any amount of vertical mouse movement sent the camera spinning up or down quite quickly, making it hard to look around, and it took several mouse drags to turn left or right.

Lastly, the mouse cursor was always visible, even when playing in full screen mode. You can disable the cursor by placing the following code in any script's Start( ) method (I usually recommend placing it within a gameController script):
Screen.showCursor = false;
Dan R.
user 2401446
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 34
Hey Jonathan! Thanks for the feedback.

I think the scene uses the default 1st Person Controller with the horizontal mouse movement tweaked down a bit.

This is basically just a test scene, but I'll keep your tips in mind. I've just started working on the next game. My goal now is to understand what I can and can't do in order to run smoothly on a mobile device. I'm looking into buying an add-on called Cruncher which will help you remove polygons from a model to make them simple enough to render efficiently on a mobile phone.

Dan