Philosophy in the 'Hood

A former member
Post #: 155
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,038
Yes, this is interesting. I gather he does a pretty good job of summarizing. Do you think he made any mistakes or left anything out of his summary of Galt's message?
A former member
Post #: 35
Warning: language not fit for the drawing room

Ayn Rand's "This is John Galt Speaking": A Summary

The vernacular is appropriate given the time in his life the typical budding white middle class male discovers Rand. In his latter college days and with full command of what Tom Wolfe calls his "f%!k patois".
A former member
Post #: 46

I liked your Internet advisory for language.

The Internet does deliver shocking material - and their is definitely at times one wishes one could scrub
something off ones eyeballs after seeing.

Here is a gritty story of a person out of prison writing a story on his way to get his Law degree...and
recuperating his humanity.

The story-- being so actual- was graded badly by his teacher. "C'est la vie", such is life.

https://thissublimeli...­
[ I believe this is a real account -- either way this is a good story ]
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,059
Beautiful story. Interesting to speculate why the bad grade, and what that says about education.
A former member
Post #: 66
This video about people in the 'Mesa' - a barren piece of land without food, electricity, or access
to potable water.

These people, in the video below, are obviously are in a struggle with many mental and health issues.

Primarily, ex-military people with PTSD, addictio, or other health ailments.

These people self medicate and self select their roles and responsibilities and generate a
loose collective where people don't mess with each other's stuff.

Must see: Off the grid – Life on the Mesa

A former member
Post #: 164
Why did you make this post?

What does it have to do with the topic of the thread?

What, for that matter, does it have to do with philosophy?
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,066
Excellent video. For some reason I couldn't get it to go past 1/2 way, but it was fascinating. There are all sorts of ethical and political philosophical issues, in my opinion, primarily related to what is important in life and what is happening to our species as we become parts of bigger and bigger social units, and more able to do things (both constructive and destructive). How can we become what it would seem like we should be able to become? What can each of us do to promote a better future for our species? I don't know where you find all these excellent resources (or I mean how you come to find so many).
A former member
Post #: 68
I suppose, this video is about, when does a 'Gothic cathedral' amount of effort stop being seen as awe inspiring and starts to look like a gigantic waste of effort.

As the best and easy to get to 'scientific' berries (in the berry bush) have been picked. Now, we are
exposing our arms to the thorns of the berry bush for berries which are not as sweet and do not
satiate ourselves enough for all the effort from reaching so far into the berry bush.

A former member
Post #: 69

As always, some more internet media.

Josef Schulz - https://secure.wikime...­

This guy, was fine all the while probably during the war.. then the amount
asked from him, would finally take too many of his humanity berries (my point)
for an end purpose which was not going to leave him any wiser.

He reached his personal 'Gothic Cathedral' moment.