addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › send me your bitcoins...17EEnpcPvu7kLYuY9AQEpzPETqeexXR6rB

send me your bitcoins...17EEnpcPvu7kLYuY9AQEpzPETqeexXR6rB

A former member
Post #: 188
I'll gladly accept your bitcoins... please address them to 17EEnpcPvu7kLYuY9AQEpzPETqeexXR6rB
wink

first with no bitcoins sad

then with bitcoins biggrin

A former member
Post #: 202

about why bitcoins may be a bad idea..

A former member
Post #: 203

A Critique of the Austrian School of Economics

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,157
Terry W, if I wanted to have a bitcoin (just so I could say I had one), how would I get one?
A former member
Post #: 211
download the specific bitcoin client for your platform: bitcoin client

[ install this software as usual ]

this client will open up and make a 'private/public' key pair. Using aspects of Public-key cryptography

you will see a label on your newly installed bitcoin client 'Your Bitcoin Adress'. Give this to
someone (for me for instance) and from my generosity and $10 bucks I will send you 1 original BTC (bitcoin)
electronically.

You will see two other buttons (possibly) next to the 'your bitcoin address' - 'NEW' and 'Copy to Clipboard'

It's a good practice to click 'New' and 'roll' your 'bitcoin address' after every transaction or what
not (so just click 'NEW' and then start giving out that new address). FYI, even when you click 'new'
people sending you BTC to your old BTC address will still arrive.

[ how will someone sends you a BTC from a BTC address you yourself haven't yet generated yet
with the new button - I'm not going to bother with that corner case - the heat death of the universe
is more likely to happen first ]

Your 'bitcoin address' is a cryptographic address based upon your 'private key'. (no matter what
your bitcoin address looks like - no one will be able to confuse the bitcoin network that bitcoins
meant for you will get sent to someone else masquerading as you with your address and get
the BTC funds meant for you on this bitcoin network.. based upon the cryptography built into bitcoin )

[ and to beat a dead horse (the 'new' button in bitcoin), their is no limit as too the number of
bitcoin addresses you may make ] - click the new button like a madman no issues in doing so.

ok.. now to get someone to send you BTC (bitcoins)
1. just ask someone to send you some..(after some value added service, of course )
2. transfer real debt based currency into BTC here: https://mtgox.com/

mtGox.com have arrangements to accept money from these digital cash providers...

I've been using https://www.dwolla.com/­ successfully
to fund my mtGox.com account to then have those acquired bitcoins then sent to my bitcoin client.

I haven't exhausted all the pro/cons between dwolla and other electronic currencies...
dwolla is very cost effective.. just $0.25 transaction fee to send currency to mtgox.com
for instance.

Here is a stock exchanges trading various currencies into BTC and vice versa..
bitcoin charts

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,159
Okay, now suppose I now have a bitcoin (or a few, or many). What can I do with it/them?

I know that I can keep, give away, or sell it/them for X dollars and cents.

But can I use it/them to buy anything? What? How?

And if so, how is it determined how many I will need to do so?

Also, how many bitcoins exist right now? Does that amount change? If more come into existence, how do they do so? If any disappear, how do they do so?
A former member
Post #: 213

Okay, now suppose I now have a bitcoin (or a few, or many). What can I do with it/them?
I know that I can keep, give away, or sell it/them for X dollars and cents.
Yes, I can have a bitcoin and never do anything with one.
Yes, I can freely give away a bitcoin.
Selling a bitcoin for another currency, good, service, etc. isn't occurring *much* to my knowledge. The current merchant list may be found here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade­

FYI, lose this file - lose ones bitcoins

However, there are also attempts to make bitcoins redeemable with actual metal commodities such
as gold and silver.
And, also to make BTC an invisible Internet payment mechanism for instance when an Internet datagram
travels from one private network such as from time-warner to comcast to some
network in Uzbekistan etc. all the parties may participate in some arbitration for dealing with paying for
the best hardware Internet pipes. (pay more get more, pay less get less..)

But can I use it/them to buy anything? What? How?
nothing much as of yet may be bought or sold with bitcoins. Actually, even exchanging them out of
BTC to USD, AUD, etc.. is problematic.
Install the bitcoin client, and then send me one of those generated bitcoin address from *your* client.. and I'll send
you one of my bitcoins and then you can send it back to me. No fuss, no muss. No cost of transaction, no middlemen, arbitrators, or intermediaries, etc.
..just the cost of the electrons passing through the Internet infrastructure using the bitcoin peer-to-peer network.
( of course the pre-existing network infrastructure does cost money - nothing is free )

And if so, how is it determined how many I will need to do so?
a bitcoin price is discovered from the arbitration between buyers and the sellers settling on an agreed exchange
value for some widget (BTC->USD, BTC<-USD) - atleast so far.
So far, http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/­ is
tracking some of this price discovery mechanism between buyers and sellers of bitcoins.

Also, how many bitcoins exist right now? Does that amount change? If more come into existence,
how do they do so? If any disappear, how do they do so?
https://blockexplorer.com/q/totalbc­
[ right now the number of bitcoins in existence is at 7192450.00000000 ]
once a bitcoin is made that bitcoin exists from then on. The bitcoin network never forgets a bitcoin once
a bitcoin comes into existence ( creating a bitcoin is called 'mining' ).

where to download the bitcoin client and a list of vendors accepting bitcoins..

a good bitcoin blog..http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.com/­

A former member
Post #: 214

A merchant may 'generate' a unique bitcoin address to which a customer may
send their bitcoins too.

There is no limit as too how many bitcoin addresses anyone on the bitcoin network
may make with their bitcoin client.

Each bitcoin address belongs to a specific public/private key which can't be masqueraded
by another bitcoin user in the bitcoin peer-to-peer network.
A former member
Post #: 215

about currency and why bitcoins are bad..

A former member
Post #: 216

link to another good bitcoin blog...
http://bitcoinme.com/­