Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › what is acceptable sexual behavior?

what is acceptable sexual behavior?

Wendy R
user 11116486
Gastonia, NC
Post #: 14
I don't remember if I've commented in this thread before - might have.
I will suggest other complications from sex, both related to bonding.
Sex does tend to bond participants, especially women, I think through oxytocin hormone release. It can give a feeling of being in love. This can be confusing, overcoming their rational thinking processes, and would be a very bad idea if the people are NOT a good match. It can blind them to that, and cause them to make unwise changes in life, especially if they are inexperienced in love and sex, unaware of the emotional and psychological effects of sex.
Sex can likewise BREAK present bonds. If one already is in a relationship with someone, even if permission is freely granted for an open arrangement, sex with others takes emotional energy and time away from partner, and might weaken relationship or lead to leaving for other. This can be a problem to one left behind or to a broken family.
Men might tend to ignore the bonding more. I believe they only release half as much oxytocin during sex, AND tend to have stronger sex drive, and are more likely to base their life decisions on rationality than emotions. For women especially then, the effects of sex are more complicated, as usual, and in ways men might not comprehend.
You also could not avoid creating additional jealousy and hurt feelings with more free sex, as we are NOT androids. We ALL have emotions.
Sex CAN be wonderful, yes! It is not as simple as we might wish it were though.
A former member
Post #: 793

U.N. Commission Calls for Legalizing Prostitution Worldwide

( - A report issued by the United Nations-backed Global Commission on HIV and the Law; recommends that nations around the world get rid of “punitive” laws against prostitution – or what it calls “consensual sex work” -- and decriminalize the voluntary use of illegal injection drugs in order to combat the HIV epidemic.

The commission, which is made up of 15 former heads of state, legal scholars and HIV/AIDS activists, was convened in 2010 by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon and is jointly backed by the United Nations Development Programme and UNAIDS – the Joint U.N. Programme on AIDS/HIV.

The commission recommends repealing all laws that prohibit “adult consensual sex work,” as well as clearly distinguishing in law and practice between sexual trafficking and prostitution.

The report--“HIV and the Law: Risks, Rights & Health”--cites a recommendation by the International Labour Organization, which recommends that “sex work” should be recognized as an occupation in order to be regulated “in a way that protects workers and customers.”

Specifically, the commission wants to:

-- “Decriminalise private and consensual adult sexual behaviours, including same-sex sexual acts and voluntary sex work.”

-- “Reform approaches towards drug use. Rather than punishing people who use drugs but do no harm to others, governments must offer them access to elective HIV and health services, including harm reduction programmes and voluntary, evidence-based treatment for drug dependence.”

-- “Work with the guardians of customary and religious law to promote traditions and religious practice that promote rights and acceptance of diversity and that protect privacy.”

The commission calls laws against prostitution “bad laws,” and said criminalizing injecting drug use and prostitution stands in the way of “effective HIV responses.”

Bill Van F.
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,574
Good thoughts, Wendy.
Bill Van F.
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,575
Terry, do you think the U.S. is becoming a third world nation?
Wendy P.
user 15642411
Stanley, NC
Post #: 15
Not becoming - is already there, we have been a third world nation for sometime. Just look at the incredible chasm between the rich & the poor, the so called middle class has all but disappeared, majority of jobs available are low level service jobs with not career growth potential, incredible number of people without health insurance - I could go on and on. Now that the economy is going down or stagnant it has become much more apparent the true condition of this nation. Of course I have no solution to offer and any solution would be very complicated and would take more time than the average "should have been done last year" US citizen mentality could bear.
A former member
Post #: 794
I'll add the UN studies momentarily.

But for sometime now, primarily America's south has been enjoying
3rd world poverty, not so much actually, for some possible decades now.

Also, we are getting poorer.

The social mobility regardless of the willingness to increase one's status
by means of effort are the most retarded if only you call America a 1st
class nation.

Noam Chomsky I suspect is calling America a 'Failed State', in his book
'Failed State'.

Since we aren't able to abide by the dictums that we put to ourselves.

I'll gather the reference material on this.

Oh, we are also earning less than our fathers who worked in the 70's.

The biggest problem people say America is facing isn't a lot of the things
people are most interested in. America's biggest problem is the poor, being
poor, and being poor at identifying our own issues, and poor at properly
dealing with our poor issues.

America's poor underclass will actually dampen America's ability to
progress later no matter the affluence of a segment of America's population.

A true 'Banana Republic' we are becoming here in America.

Wendy P.
user 15642411
Stanley, NC
Post #: 16
I am glad you will be posting UN studies. You are so right bout not being able to increase our status by means of effort. I have worked small, medium and large companies and in the medium & large company growing your career is a lot of office politics, favortism, fear of promoting someone better than you. The biggest problem is most career paths in companies are based on becoming a supervisor, then manger, the department head - on and on. There is no career path for those who are good at their jobs & want to expand their job. The worst thing is that people are promoted to management based on doing a good job with no regard as to their management skills. As an example when I worked a Borders bookstore the manager, general manager etc were promoted based on politics & how well they sold. The fact that they couldn't manage how to run a elevator route was not considered. Actually I am surprised they lasted as long as they did.
Also agree we are poor at recognizing our problem but the biggest poor is that American don't want to take responsibility & want an instant fix. We want to blame someone else & snap our fingers(or like Dorothy click our red shoes) and everything is fine.
Bill Van F.
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,576
What I was referring to was our openness of mind (or lack thereof) in the area of human rights and freedom, as opposed to limitation of freedom due to primitive religious ideas that are being abandoned elsewhere in the increasingly civilized world.
A former member
Post #: 795
America's mind as a gestalt has been closing for quite some time.

Even collapsed states have liberal and open values but these exist only in pockets in the overall nation.

Americans are not enjoying the experience of 'chronic anger' and 'perpetual war' which has now left their psyche stupefied.

The Closing of the American Mind

For Bloom, this created a void in the souls of Americans, into which demagogic radicals as exemplified by '60s student leaders could leap.
(In the same fashion, Bloom suggests, that the Nazi brownshirts once filled the gap created in German society by the Weimar Republic.)
In the second instance, he argued, the higher calling of philosophy and reason understood as freedom of thought, had been eclipsed by a pseudo-philosophy, or an ideology of thought.
Relativism was one feature of modern liberal philosophy that had subverted the Platonic–Socratic teaching.

Bloom's critique of contemporary social movements at play in universities or society at large is derived from his classical and philosophical orientation.
For Bloom, the failure of contemporary liberal education leads to the sterile social and sexual habits of modern students, and to their inability to fashion a life for themselves beyond the mundane offerings touted as success. Bloom argues that commercial pursuits had become more highly valued than love, the philosophic quest for truth, or the civilized pursuits of honor and glory.

Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy is a book by Noam Chomsky, first published in 2006, in which Chomsky argues that the United States is becoming a “failed state”, and thus a danger to its own people and the world.
America has goals to make 'intolerance­' illegal which paradoxically is another form of objectifying­ intolerance and thus vicariously removing the sin of intolerance from
society. problem solved.

Wendy P.
user 15642411
Stanley, NC
Post #: 17
Your quote: "For Bloom, this created a void in the souls of Americans, into which demagogic radicals as exemplified by '60s student leaders could leap.", what does THIS refer to?
Most people will agree that most liberal education is geared to providing fodder to fill the maw of entry level comercial positions and not to learn how to think on your own. Liberal education was meant to provide a well rounded exposure to classical thoughts, to the latest thinking in a variety of fields. This was to be used by the students to spur them on to their own research and exploration of life. Well those are my thoughs.
I do have to wonder if the preceding is clinging to an outdate view that has no revelance today. Should we move on & deal with the present situation with new ideas?