Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › SUGGESTED TOPICS FOR OUR MEETINGS

SUGGESTED TOPICS FOR OUR MEETINGS

Wendy P.
user 15642411
Stanley, NC
Post #: 27
Wendy P, I am interested in what it was that indicated I believed in a top-down approach, because I, too, believe that change must be from bottom up, if we are talking about the same thing. I believe our governments and religions reflect who we are, and only to a certain extent help us to move forward, often simultaneously keeping us back. If you were to explore the "Homo rationalis" idea, I think you would find what I am saying about my beliefs to be true. And much of what you are saying is spelled out in the chapter on Rational-Ethical Anger Prevention.

Maybe you are referring to the idea of having an ultimate ethical principle with which to legitimate all other ethical principles, rules of conduct, and beliefs, but I don't know what you would think was an alternative. So I am interested in what you are responding to in your concern about a top-down approach.
What prompted my post about the top-down approach was your previous post "I rather deeply hope so, because I would like to see my prediction come true that one day we might, just might, come to the point where we all maintain an uppermost value of making our beliefs more and more accurate, with strong pursuit of the explanations for differences of opinion, since that is where that biggest problem lies." This is a goal that I subscribe to also and for me would start by accepting and working on smaller truths.
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,609
I probably will understand better if I understand "smaller than what" (in "working on smaller truths").
Wendy P.
user 15642411
Stanley, NC
Post #: 28
Smaller than "the ultimate truths that apply to all humans and all humans should practice.".
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,610
Hmmm....

So are we talking about beliefs that are sometimes true and sometimes not? Or always true but not very important or basic?

I'm not sure what "apply to" is meaning.

Are we talking about only ethical beliefs, or both ethical and existential beliefs.

Why are we calling them "truths"?

Am I understanding that you consider "top" in "top-down" to refer to more basic beliefs?

I gather your idea of top-down and bottom-up have to do with general vs. specific, whereas I have been thinking about them as having to do with imposed on everyone by social authority as opposed to developing as grass roots, or lots of individuals and small groups gradually getting together and advocating to more and more people.
Eva R.
user 13769436
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 12
OK but is there an Absolute Truth? if, so, what is it?
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,611
That opinion toward which all opinion would tend if it tended indefinitely toward fixity?

That belief for which there will never, ever be evidence to the contrary?

You and I are really cool (and that's the Absolute Truth).
Wendy R
user 11116486
Gastonia, NC
Post #: 44
Bill, that probably qualifies as a "smaller truth"!smile Should we start our investigation of the Truth there? wink
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,612
It is most reliable to start with Absolute Truth as being the starting point, an axiom, and deducing all other truths from that.
Wendy R
user 11116486
Gastonia, NC
Post #: 46
At what point would we cease to be human, with increasing augmentation of the human brain through technology and science? ;)

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,613
What are we meaning by "human"? I'm sure we all agree, right?

At least we know that humans are far, far better than dogs. And that's the Absolute Truth.