Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › Our Forum Ethics (Please Read Before Posting)

Our Forum Ethics (Please Read Before Posting)

Closed to new replies

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 149
To Everyone,

This forum is for the sharing and comparing of ideas, in order to promote wisdom and clarity of communication. The general topic is philosophy, the way to understand ourselves and existence in general in the most basic ways possible.

Almost any topic has some philosophical implications. My wish is for everyone to feel at home to discuss any topic of interest to him or her. Although I will start some topics myself, everyone should feel free to start his or her own topic.

The usual rules about etiquette and legality should apply to our forum. I have one additional request. I have observed that in forums like this, some individuals may write in a rather hostile or disparaging fashion, stimulating the same in others. When this happens, many stop participating, and there is a loss of opportunity to continue sharing ideas.

I plan to eliminate from our forum, as much as possible, such hostility. I certainly do not want to engage in censoring ideas. If the individual posting seems to be slipping into hostile language, I may ask him or her to edit the post, or I may edit it myself, or, if nothing is working, I may remove him or her from participating. My effort will be to have the forum be a friendly place for everyone.

If you believe the above is not a good idea, please let me know.

Bill Van Fleet
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 427
I appreciate Steve having taking responsibility for various organizational activities for our group. I am concerned, however, about decision-making of this sort (removing a member from our group) being made by anyone but me. A member was removed from the group, not because of hostility but because of his set of beliefs. I would not have removed this member from our group on the basis of his posts so far. I don't believe he caused anyone any hardship. People were free to read his posts or not. I was still having dialogue with him. If he really presented a problem to us, I would want first to see if we could negotiate with him, rather than suddenly removing him. Also, I would probably want our group to participate in that decision. I am quite concerned about banning someone from our group because of the beliefs that person holds.

So, pending further discussion by our group, I am not having anyone in the position of assistant organizer. We will have a chance to discuss this further in our next meeting this Sunday. At that time, we may feel it appropriate to have Steve be assistant organizer again. I believe I will maintain, however, that a decision to remove someone from our group should rest with me ultimately.

I hope everyone understands my concern, and also if people disagree, I hope they will let me know, in the group, by email, or on the message board.