addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › A new book on Philosophy - www.essaysonorder.com Very interesting

A new book on Philosophy - www.essaysonorder.com Very interesting

Todd W.
user 104073922
Columbia, SC
Post #: 7
Can you please give feedback on the website for a new book? Believe it or not, people have a problem reading and understanding the website much less the books.
A former member
Post #: 1,091
These books look to be behind a paywall. I attempted to download a copy from www.essaysonorder.com­ and was then directed to pay for a copy from Amazon or order a physical copy/print from University of South Carolina; University Libraries, Columbia SC

These books appear to be behind a pay to read wall. (Although, I may understand right that physical copies of these books may be checked out from the USC library as normal library books?)

Todd W.
user 104073922
Columbia, SC
Post #: 11
Sorry for the confusion Sir. The link I put on the site should link you to Amazon where all four books can be purchased and yes they are in other library's as well. Due the fact the were recently published (March 2013) it is taking some time to get them in other library's - UNC Charlotte. Until then, below is the link to purchase from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com...­

I have never read anything like these book and hope to get feedback from you

Todd Watlington
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,848
Todd, could it be the case that you are an alias of the author, and that this is advertising for the book? I note that you have also posted in NY Philosophy's message board, and that you are the "agent" for the author.

I did a little reading inside the book on Amazon, and I could not be as impressed as some state they are. If you read my book on the Mind-Body Problem (which is free), you may understand why.
Todd W.
user 104073922
Columbia, SC
Post #: 16
Sir, it is the case I am the first time agent for the first time author and I spent 4 months proof reading the books with the author before publishing. I do understand your position as an author yet your book cost $ on Amazon just as these books. I applaud you as a Philosophy writer and admire your work yet the books "Essays on Order" are simply mind blowing for any student of the human condition. I have chosen the task to make as many people aware of the essays as possible yet due to time constraints unable to get the book in university library's at time for a "free" read. I am working diligently with UNC in Charlotte university library as they review the books yet is their chose to retain them. Wake University is unsure whether to retain the books due to the extremely deep content and possible controversy. The University of Alabama refused to admit the books into their collection because I was told "unable to read or understand" the books which their choice. I personally designed my first ever web site as a buffer to the books to help people read the books with no compensation for my efforts yet I do want people to become aware of this completely non-subject book. The books have changed my way of thinking and simply want to spread the word. Thank you very much for your feedback and look forward to more.

Todd Watlington Sr.
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,849
I do understand your position as an author yet your book cost $ on Amazon just as these books.
Not true. My books are free for everyone at http://homorationalis.com/homorationalis/hr000.html­.

Our message board is primarily for the sharing and comparing of ideas, though of course tips on good stuff are welcome also. So your advertising here is okay. I notice that you have also advertised on the Gastonia Free Thought message board as well as the NY Philosophy one, so I imagine you are posting on all the message boards in order to get the book sold. That is great if the books are that good.

Could you give an example of what you found so ground-breaking, maybe a few quotes, so that we can actually debate the issues? That would preserve the primary function of our message board. If every new book that came out used our message board for advertising, I don't thing anyone would be able to find useful content amidst all that advertising. So let's examine and possibly debate the issues that you see as important.
Todd W.
user 104073922
Columbia, SC
Post #: 21
I do apologize for my mix up on your book. I saw http://www.amazon.com...­ and thought it was yours - my mistake. So lets examine and possibly debate the authors Synopsis below;

Essays on Order, Books 1 through 4

Synopsis

As the human condition moved from stone knives to lasers there has always been one constant that accompanied mankind on this journey, the struggle between chaos and order. At the low end of this struggle is poverty, hunger and suffering while at the high end is control, power and lust. Understanding and becoming aware of this struggle and to what extent an individual may exercise order over chaos in this struggle is the focus of the Essays on Order.
Only in recent memory has mankind advanced far enough in technology to effect the dissemination required to put together this collection of essays. While the lessons of the essays have always been known, they have never before been written. It is to this extent that the collection has been assembled and offered with the endearing thought that the why of the human condition may now be affected.
The Essays on Order are a four book collection of essays that define the human condition one thought at a time. Each book contains twenty essays with the first essay of the first book establishing the premise from which each consecutive essay is derived. The essays are singular in topic and provide a critical evaluation of that topic as it relates to the individual, the group and to the population at large. The topics addressed by the essays escalate from the benign through the extremely complex. And lastly, the essays are not dependant on a particular moment or person as the human condition has, and does, exist for all.
While not everyone will be able to read the essays, it is with great chagrin that everyone must live the essays.

Author - Chuck Pyburn
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,858
Great, Todd, to see you back. I have been puzzled by how everything disappeared, but now everything is restored.

As I guess you know, I have had some dialogue with Chuck. Since you apparently regard his books as a valuable contribution, I would like to discuss them with you as well as he. He also suggested you might attend one of our meetings. You would be very welcome, and might be asked to talk about your take on the books. (The topic is decided by group vote around the beginning of the meeting.)

I would like to hear your understanding of what Chuck means by “order” and “chaos,” and the “struggle” between them. I am thinking he may be referring to “predictability,” and our effort to improve our ability to predict. But I can’t make that connection so far. What do you think?

Please feel very welcome in our group, and even if you can’t make the meetings, we welcome dialogue on this message board.
Todd W.
user 104073922
Columbia, SC
Post #: 22
I do apologize for the puzzling yet I learned that Meetup can deactivate an account if flagged for marketing, as mine was. Not my intentions yet it is what it is. Meetup did reactivate my account yesterday and am happy to be a member of the group. Chuck was kind enough to step in during my leave to continue the interesting discussions we had began.

I would very much enjoy to attend the CDP Group upcoming meetup on the 11th and has requested and received my RSVP. I plan to be at Amelie's French Bakery at 6:30 and driving in from Columbia SC. I do look forward to fielding any questions the group may have, per your last post.

Can you please give me an itinerary of the amount of time I will be allotted to discuss the questions per your previous post?

My compliments,

Todd Watlington

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,859
Can you please give me an itinerary of the amount of time I will be allotted to discuss the questions per your previous post?
I cannot guarantee that you will be given any time. The group decides on the topic at the beginning of the meeting, people (including me) proposing topics that are then voted on. The group frequently decides differently than my recommendation. But if you will start posting replies to my questions and thereby give more of an idea as to the potential value of the ideas in the books, that will increase the likelihood that the group will want to have a presentation by you, probably for just a few minutes with then mostly Q&A and general discussion. But I really can't predict.