There is so much veggie love in our community right now. I am thrilled to see the movement of the plant-based diet finally catching up to Charlotte which has really led to some great new businesses.
Lots of exciting happenings to read about below:
- In addition to Beverly's Gourmet Foods for Thanksgiving meals and take-home veggie meals all year long, the fabulous Julia Simon aka The Ethical Glutton, is also offering some delicious veg-friendly Thanksgiving foods that can be ordered as packages or a la carte through ecolicious. To see the menu, click here http://ecoliciouscharlotte.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Thanksgiving-at-ecolicious.pdf. ecolicious has also been keeping their fridge stocked with other tasty goodness made by Julia that you can pick up the other 364 days a year. Every Tuesday, Julia is loading the fridge with great meals that you can take home and heat up for dinner. Some offerings she mentioned are Tofu N' Dumplin's, Tempeh Stroganoff, Stuffed Shells and others. These are a great option for those of you who don't have time to cook, don't like to cook or are new to the diet and need a little more variety than what you've been getting.
- Speaking of ecolicious (http://ecoliciouscharlotte.com/), if you haven't yet discovered this great store in Plaza-Midwood, no more excuses! Please get out there and support them. ecolicious carries cruelty-free and eco-friendly products for you and your home. Isn't it a great feeling to bathe in products that haven't been tested on animals or contain rendered animal parts?! Ick! Plus, while you're there, you can pick up some of Julia's great food and kill two birds with one stone! Wait...we don't kill animals ;) Two tofurkeys with one stone perhaps?
- Partnering with The Ethical Glutton on the Thanksgiving menu is the Fatty Dog Bake Shop. Though they do not yet have a storefront, you can order from Clare directly. Known for their scratch-made vegan delights, this is just another great business we all need to get behind. Don't let the name fool you, these baked goods are for humans :) (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fatty-Dog-Bake-Shop/223553047678923?sk=info) Clare and I have exchanged emails and she will heopfully be showing up at one of our upcoming meetups with samples of her delicious sweets!
- Our friends in the Raw Foods Charlotte group will also be hosting a Thanksgiving potluck on 11/22 at the Earth Fare in Ballantyne. They will meet at 6:30 PM in the Community room. All are welcome to attend!
- Cooking Uptown (http://www.cookinguptown.com/) has been offering some great veg-friendly cooking classes on their schedule lately. There is still space available in the Memorable Vegan Holiday class taking place in December. Also, be sure to check out the January and February calendar. The Kari-Cari-Khang: Curries from Around the World class in January sounds awesome along with the Travel to Greece and Authentic Mexican classes in February. These classes fill up pretty quickly so book your spot today. Remember, gift certificates to these classes make great gifts!
- Fern Alert! As many of you read yesterday, Fern and I got off to a rocky start. Thanks to the power of social media and a few forwarded emails, Fern finally returned my call yesterday and we now have a January meetup scheduled. I did have to compromise with them so we will have to limit this event to 20 people. Beyond 20, we can try to make additional individual reservations, but they will not guarantee us any space beyond the 20. No matter how things started, this is still a veg-friendly business that we need to support.
- Rumor has it, a vegetarian rotary club might be in the works. As I know more, I will send out the info. If you have any interest, you can contact member Marc Friedland.
- Lastly, remember to RSVP for the Thanksgiving potluck and/or White Elephant Holiday Party if you are able to attend. These are the last two events of the year. Thanks to Mike for opening up his home again to accommodate the group on Thanksgiving!
If there are any other veg-friendly businesses that I've missed that deserve a plug, please let me know! If we don't support these businesses that are supporting us, we will lose them and then be back to complaining about our lack of options! Also, if you are hearing about a business for the first time courtesy of our group, please be sure to let them know when you visit, buy or order from them. My goal is to eventually partner with some of these companies by having them provide our members with discounts.