Charlotte Veggies Message Board › Vegan "Ice Cream"

Vegan "Ice Cream"

A former member
Post #: 4
Skip asked me to post my recipe... I usually just adapt something from Vegan Ice Cream Paradise, an old blog that doesn't get updated anymore.

For example, I'm going to make Rum-Banana "Ice Cream" for the potluck next Saturday -- basically using her recipe for Peanut Butter Banana ice cream but leaving out the PB and adding some rum when I add the vanilla. And making more than 1 quart of course! biggrin
Skip
user 8267314
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 210
Thanks for the link.
-Skip
A former member
Post #: 7
Several others asked for the recipe for my rum-banana "ice cream" at the picnic; it was kind of cobbled together but I will try to recreate it as faithfully as possible here. You do need an ice cream maker of some kind to make this! If you don't have an ice cream maker, I have heard of people freezing the mixture in ice cube trays and then blending it in a blender. No idea how well that would work or if it would be really ice creamy or not.

Rum-Banana Coconut Milk "Ice Cream"
adapted from this recipe
(you don't have to use coconut milk, I just like it)

3 ripe bananas
2c coconut milk
½c brown sugar
2T dark rum
1t vanilla

Peel bananas and place in a blender. Add coconut milk and puree.

Transfer the liquid to a medium-sized sauce pan. Over medium heat, dissolve the brown sugar into the liquid.

Remove from heat. Add vanilla and rum.

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. It will thicken when it’s refrigerated. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.

Makes about 1 quart.

I added some chunks of banana about 5 minutes before the end of the churning... still feeling mixed about how I liked that. Next time I think I would add some toasted walnuts or something.
Skip
user 8267314
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 212
Hi Mary,

Your vegan "ice cream" was my favorite item at the picnic. Thanks for briging it, and posting the exact recipe. I wonder, always thinking about people who are diabetics, if one could make it with Splenda or
Truvia? smile -Skip