add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Charlotte Veggies Message Board › Indian Cooking Anyone?

Indian Cooking Anyone?

A former member
Post #: 213
Skye, myself, and a few others kicked around the idea of seeing if people wanted to have some future meetups where we could learn how to cook Indian food, both North Indian and South Indian. Is anyone else interested in this idea? (My problem when I go to an Indian restaurant that I do not know what anything is. I therefore tend to end up going to a buffet, where I can sample, and hopefully learn, the names of various dishes. However, I have been informed that, at Indian buffets, one is kind of getting a lot of the leftovers.) smile
A former member
Post #: 9
I have a South Indian vegetarian cookbook but I still have not made it to an Indian grocery to get some of the spices I need to make anything... asafoedita and tamarind pulp and maybe a couple others. I would love to learn to cook Indian food! Skye, are you volunteering to teach us? biggrin
A former member
Post #: 218
At Barnes and Ignoble - I mean Noble - on Pineville-Matthews Road, they used to carry a book titled, Vegetarian Indian Cuisine, which I should have bought, and which they may or may not still have. Here is their web-site on the topic: http://www.barnesandn...­ wink
A former member
Post #: 219
At the picnic, Skye told me about an Indian grocery store named "Patel" (or something like that) that I believe she said is in Pineville now. Also she mentioned one group member (from Wisconsin) who knew how to make "Dosa".
A former member
Post #: 220
According to my notes, Skye also told me about Masala (sp?), Channa Bhatara with Pure (Chole) (sp?).
(Please correct my spelling, if need be.)smile
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 22
Skip and Mary,

If you are interested in vegan/vegetarian Indian cooking you may want to check out my blog,­. It's about all things veg, but will have a special emphasis on Indian cooking. So far I've done posts such as Indian Grocery Shopping 101, deciphering the menu at an Indian restaurant, and whether or not Indian food can be truly vegan. Upcoming posts in the next few weeks will include topics such as spices used in Indian cooking, and some Indian cookbook and restaurant reviews.

Also, Skye is an organizer for my VegCharlotte meetup group and I'm sure she mentioned I will be teaching some Indian cooking classes for VegCharlotte and a couple of other Meetup groups, probably starting in August.

A former member
Post #: 223
Thank you, Catherine. Mongo (Skip) like hot, spicy foods! smile
A former member
Post #: 225
Yogi [Vegetarian] Indian Food and Spices [9601 North Tryon Street] finally got their web-site up and running:­. They are nice people, and will give our veggie groups discounts, just like BOA.
A former member
Post #: 1
"Patel" in Pineville is amazing! Stop by there, it is directly across the street (Pineville/51) from the Carolina Mall. It use to be a bookstore (Barnes& Nobel?)

Also, check out the incense display...inexpensive and made with natural products.

I love the idea of having an Indian Cooking session.

Roger Alan Bernard
user 102291712
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 2
Love Indian food but can’t cook? Learn how to cook Simple ,fresh, flavorsome and colorful food that appeal to all five senses!You will learn to cook good Indian food, eat the food cooked & have fun.
please check out the website:-
Let me know if you are still interested...