Charlotte Veggies Message Board › Ethiopian/Eritrean Food anyone?

Ethiopian/Eritrean Food anyone?

A former member
Post #: 244
What is the world's fastest animal? "A chicken in Ehiopia" smile

I just wanted to get a feel for who might be interested in eating Ethiopian/Eritrean food on a Saturday or a Sunday. I have eaten at the relatively new one, Queen Sheba Ethiopian, which is on Central Avenue near Ben Thanh Vietnamese Restaurant. Their food is very good; they are rated a "90%" by UrbanSpoon.com, whereas Meskeram on Kings Drive (which I don't care for and have complaints against) is slipping behind at an "89%." People are giving Queen Sheba a lot of positive comments, and are switching their allegiance from Meskerem to Queen Sheba. Their "Guacamole Salad" (a mixture of guacamole with other things, wrapped in Injera Bread [Injera Bread is gluten-free] is delicious, and I am torturing myself now typing this, having eaten nothing today). They also have a Veggie Platter, which contains a lot of good things, such as something in the middle that is spicy, delicious collard greens, etc. Also, you can order things a la carte. They also have some kind of fancy coffee shin-dig, which they were trying to get my friend and I to do, but I declined as I try to keep things simple.

I was talking to the husband and wife owners, who told me that all of their food is organic, and preservative and gluten-free. They said that they would give us a group discount. I told the wife/owner the above joke, and she laughed very hard; she said that, when they arrived in this country in Miami, she was overweight, and that Americans did not understand this because they assume that ALL Ethiopians are skinny and starving. smile

Their menu still is not online* despite the fact that I tell them to get their website act together. Also, the waitresses at this restaurant do not even know what "utensils" are, so, unless you want to try to eat things on the order of refried beans au naturel, bring your own utensils. (I don't know how to politely tell them to order a set. When I last went to Meskerem with an International Group, I brought my own, and everybody with us wanted utensils too. It turns out they had a whole set in the back.) The same owner At Q.S. told me that the reason for this is because, in Ethiopia, people are so hungry by the time they get more food that they just gobble it up with their fingers, perhaps thusly reinforcing the American stereotype. smile

I will post more beta when I get it.