align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
A former member
Post #: 23
Is it possible to attend meetings and benefit from them without actually becoming Buddhist?

To be as brief as possible, I am working with a doctor who practices integrative medicine and he "prescribed" me breathing techniques and meditation to reduce stress--which he believes to be the root cause of my digestive and anxiety woes.

I do intend to be serious about the meditation and non-disruptive; however, while I'm actually reading a book on Zen given to me by a friend, I'm not so sure I can fully ascribe to Buddhist teachings.

Thanks,

DL Cummings
Don W.
user 10362056
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 2
Yes, you may practice with us without becoming a Buddhist. We practice Zazen, quiet meditation, without any requirements. You may find that the zazen is helpful for you and you are also welcome to stay for our discussions after the sitting. Many people find that studying the Buddha's teachings can be helpful with or without a commitment to "religious" practice.

Don