addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Charlotte iOS Developers Meetup Message Board › Help with git

Help with git

Neil S.
user 12282986
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 15
I have a shiny new macbook air, I'm trying to setup Xcode on it on a project to hit my git repository for a project that I have on my iMac. That part seems to work just fine. The project on the air sees the repository when I'm on my wifi and I can "pull" from the repository to refresh my project on the air.

The problem I have is that when I make a change on the air, while it seems to know that it's different then the version in the repository (i.e. if I look at the diffs view it shows me the diffs), it does show up as "modified" in Xcode on the air. So I can't commit my changes.

Does anyone have any ideas what I have to do to get Xcode to allow me to commit from the remote box.

Eventually I want to move the whole repository off to a hosted solution so I can get to it from anywhere on the net with my Air (and my iMac of course) but that's next...
rachel p.
pinkeerach
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1
i've seen the issue you're speaking of, and in my case, it seemed to be a timing thing...eventually, xcode picked up the changes to the local copy, and showed them as modified. i saw it more often in older versions, and the latest versions seemed to have eliminated that. what version of xcode are you using? i have consistently had trouble w/xcode's repository features in general (at least on svn).
Neil S.
user 12282986
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 16
Thanks for the reply. Funny you mention the timing, I've been modifying my project this week on the Air and I'm out of town. I noticed at some point the mods starting showing up in Xcode (using 4.3 on the air btw). So timing indeed, but odd. I get home this weekend so I'll see when I get on my local network if my main repository picks up the changes. I hope so otherwise I'll either have to manually reapply the changes, or snap the whole thing and use my Air version, maybe as a branch.

In parallel I'm going to try putting the whole thing on a remote repository (if anyone has any recommendations for a good place to setup and store a git repository, free or paid, please let me know), which is where I need to get to anyway so anyone anywhere can develop the project.

Thanks again for the reply, I was wondering if anyone actually read this stuff.
Neil S.
user 12282986
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 18
So this all may have been obvious to you all, but after a couple of days of wrestling, reading and experimenting, I finally figured out how to setup a remote repository (on my Time Capsule) and effectively share that repository between my iMac and my MBA. So now I'm able to take my MBA offline, develop to my hearts content and then sync it all up when I get back on line and keep the two masters in sync. My next step is to change to a GitHub or BitBucket remote repository instead of my TimeCapsule so I can start sharing with others that will be developing an app along with me.

In the end I couldn't do it ALL within Xcode in terms of setup. I had to use git commands to setup the remote repo, but after that I was able within Xcode to clone from the remote (e.g. on my MBA), connect to the remote (from my existing local repo on the iMac), and then push/pull from either the iMac or MBA.

This should have been easier to figure out but I'm slow, and hopefully the pain will make me stronger.

If anyone else is having similar problems let me know and I'd be happy to share my experiences.