This Meetup is cancelled

Canceled: Camping and Kayaking Weekend on the Juniata River, Mifflintown, PA

  • to

  • This location is shown only to members

  • This event has been canceled due to severe weather!


    Camping and Kayaking on the Juniata River, Mifflintown, Pennsylvania.  Located between Harrisburg and State College, PA.  Rustic camping  on the river bank. Modern, clean bath houses. Rv and Trailer camping available too if you have one. Details on camping and livery fees to follow very soon. I have been camping and Kayaking here for a few seasons, about 20 weekends total. it is a very nice location and the owners are very friendly people. The river is great and best early in the season as it is higher and faster. I think you will love it.

    The Juniata River … a slow-moving, peaceful body of water that wanders through the beautiful farmlands, dense woods, rolling ridges, and small towns of Juniata County. Saturday, we launch on the river and will be picked up down stream. Sunday, we begin upstream and end at our launch at Buttonwood Campground. For a true outdoor adventure, primitive camping on the banks of the Juniata River, where you may still enjoy our many nearby amenities. Shuttle service provided by the campground.

    https://buttonwoodcamp.com

    (717)[masked] (Campground)

    Extras: Saturday Night: Mike & Theresa C. (Site 332) are sponsoring an "Orange Crush" night starting at 7:30.  Games & Prizes.  Bring a cup, chair, and snacks.  

Join or login to comment.

  • Toni

    Well... drat! However camping on a riverbank while severe flooding is a strong possibility is probably not a great idea. Good call guys - hope we can reschedule.

    May 15

    • Toni

      Actually, REALLY good call!

      May 16

  • Chuck

    Howard - if they didn't move your RV it is now definitely under water. The Juniata is now at 15.5 feet and climbing. They are now projecting the Juniata to crest at 19 feet which means the camp sites will be under 8 feet of water.

    May 16

  • Howard M.

    My RV just got moved by the owners up at Buttonwood because the river is rising so fast he could not be sure it would not rise over 14.5 feet and it would float away. YIKES !!!!! I would have been interesting camping under water as ALL the rustic sites are now part of the river bed.
    Hope all who were interested can make the new date when posted. Have a safe weekend everyone and stay dry.

    1 · May 16

  • Bob Z

    Great call by the Fearless Weather God. Possible reschedule to June 20-21-22. The campground is moving Howard's camper to higher ground. Thank you for all you do Chuck.

    May 16

    • Chuck

      Already rescheduled Bob, although when I cut and pasted it I forgot to remove the word Canceled before I announced it. I get to make a couple mistakes don't I?

      May 16

  • Chuck

    Howard just got a call from the campground owner. The water levels have already totally flooded the campground where the group was supposed to be camped tonight and the campground owner wanted to move Howard's RV which is at a higher level because they expect it to be under water soon.

    While the rain has already stopped and the storm has moved on even the mighty Susquehanna and Potomac Rivers are going to see some of the highest levels they've hit in recent years over the course of Saturday and Sunday. NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!!!!! The Juniata trip will be back on the schedule for the weekend of June 21 and 22 within 24 to 48 hours

    May 16

  • Chuck

    I thought I'd point out that at 8:00 AM Friday morning actual river levels on the Juniata are already over a foot higher than they were forecast for about 2:00 PM today.

    Rather than a gradual climb to a crest at 5 feet higher than safe levels to paddle at 2:00 PM Saturday, the actual gauge is going straight up right now. That means that conditions on the Juniata are actually going to be substantially worse than previously forecast.

    I really do stress about these decisions folks but I can only make the best decision I can with the information I have available at the time. Right now I'm feeling pretty good about the decision to cancel. The Juniata is clearly going to hit levels where it would literally have been insane for us to go ahead with this trip.

    May 16

    • Jaclin G

      I know you hate to cancel these trips. Sounds like conditions will be really rough. Thanks to everyone who tried to make this trip happen.

      May 16

  • Denise P.

    Thank you for all of the hard work that you did putting together this wonderful weekend adventure. Unfortunately, Mother Nature stepped in and changed our plans. While we may be disappointed, this is another example of how our group leadership puts safety first. Thanks for looking out for us.

    May 16

  • Sharon

    Too bad about this trip. I was thinking about a last minute sign up.
    Many MANY thanks to the organizers. Organized a week long sailing trip once....the term "herding cats" describes it all!!

    May 16

  • Cathy N

    Totally selfish, but hope it is rescheduled on a weekend I can go.

    May 16

  • Howard M.

    Well... No Mifflintown for us this weekend. It was fun planning and maybe we can try to fit it in again into the busy CKA schedule. Best that we are all home safe until the storm passes. Have a nice weekend everyone.

    May 15

    • Kimmie

      I am so sad. I was looking forward to it. Thanks Howard and Bob. I hope we can reschedule it.

      May 16

    • Yoshiko

      Thank you, Howard, Bob, and Kimmie for all you did. Love and hugs. :)

      May 16

  • Randy

    Bummer, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for all the work everyone put into planning this event.

    May 15

    • Chuck

      This was going to be the first larger event for the group that my hand wasn't heavily involved in. Howard, Bob and Kimmie devoted a lot of blood seat and tears to making it go and do deserve kudos for everything they did so well. They deserve a huge amount of thanks from all of us. No one except those who have been through it can appreciate the heart ache of devoting the time and effort to planning an event like this and then having to cancel it due to weather until it happens to them.

      May 15

  • kbkayaker

    The way I'm reading this "rain event" it will be over by Friday afternoon and I can get a decent overnight camp-out up there. By Sat morning, if the levels are still OK well then I'm on the river. If not, there is always Blue Mountain Outfitters on the Susquehanna (just north of Harrisburg). That river is less affected by 16 hrs of rain than a smaller one like the Juniata.
    If anyone else wants to claim at least half the weekend I'll be there before 6pm at Buttonwood.

    May 15

    • Chuck

      KB - I spend a lot of time (read hours) carefully studying several forecasts and don't take or make decisions like this casually. If the forecast it remotely accurate you are reading things extremely, repeat extremely wrong. Granted the forecast has to be remotely accurate. The forecast frequently isn't remotely accurate so you could be correct. A similar event a couple weeks ago closed 30 roads in Howard County due to flooding and left streams in the area unsafe t paddle for a few days.

      1 · May 15

  • Jenny

    Howard thanks for all the planning you put in. I hope we can check out this place again for a future trip.

    May 15

  • Kimmie

    I have some bad news. After talking with the campground people and reviewing all weather data, we have to cancel the camping trip at the Juniata River this weekend.

    With the intense line of storms coming up the pike tonight and tomorrow, the predicted water levels on the Juniata River are going to be above what would be considered safe to run. The campground will only rent kayaks if the river is below 7 feet. It is predicted to be up to almost flood stage and will only drop down to about 9-10 feet by the end of the weekend. Not only would it be potentially dangerous to paddle, our campsites might very well be under water.

    So, with a sad heart I am canceling this paddle. But it is with a glad heart I know that you all will be safer not paddling! Catch you all on the water another time!

    May 15

  • kbkayaker

    Will you reschedule this trip?

    May 15

  • Chuck

    Just keeping everyone informed here. NOAA is projecting that the storm coming through tomorrow will have the Juniata River cresting at 14.6 feet early Saturday morning. River forecasts are about as accurate as weather forecasts. When we compare historical forecast data with actual river levels that occurred it would appear that the Juniata will probably still probably hit a river level that local outfitters tell me is unsafe for kayaking. It appears that tomorrow's storm will now hit the area and be gone a little sooner than originally forecast but the severity of the storm hasn't been downgraded. It's still going to be a lot of rain.

    May 15

    • Chuck

      My current guess is that for everyone's safety we will probably end up canceling this event for the entire weekend. Water levels on the Juniata will not return to safe levels until early next week. We're going to wait until later this evening to make the final call about canceling but right now it is not looking good. Once again Mother Nature has me saying I am so sorry everyone.

      May 15

    • Jenny

      Thanks for the update. I didn't even think about checking river conditions. Too bad :(

      May 15

  • Jaclin G

    Was so looking forward to this, but I am having a problem with my car that is just stressing me out. Catch you all next time.

    May 15

  • michael s.

    got the Permit

    May 13

  • Lucie

    Can't make it after all , seems i scheduled a work party at my house for same weekend,hope you all have a great time!!!

    May 12

  • Howard M.

    Important News For all attending this meetup. The State of PA. requires launch permits for ALL non motorized boats. That's us! Fines are pretty steep so it would be best for all of us to get them in case we meet the authorities. Here is the website address. http://fishandboat.com/forms_boatreg.htm
    It is $10 for the rest of this year and $18 for two years.

    April 13, 2014

    • michael s.

      what do I do Howard? I printed out the form and if I mail it in, I won't get the sticker or anything to prove that I paid for a permit.

      May 12

    • Tom L.

      There are several place in town to get the permit if done on Friday before 4:30PM. Here is the link http://fishandboat.co...­

      May 12

  • michael s.

    ok. I went to the web-site and printed out a form ? If I mail it, it won't be here by the time we go camping. What to do ?????

    May 12

    • Howard M.

      Call me. I am out of town and don't have the link but I can tell you what to do. [masked]

      May 12

  • Howard M.

    If someone wanted to come for the day and paddle they could if you were there or not Sunday. I will talk to you when we are up there and give you the adjusted dollar amount you will owe as you will not need the livery service on Sunday. See you soon.

    May 10

  • kbkayaker

    I will have to blow out early sunday...can someone take my spot in the sunday paddle?

    May 10

  • Anne M.

    Is +1 ok

    May 10

  • Howard M.

    Denise. The shuttle is leaving the campground Saturday morning around 9 am to take us all up river for the paddle. Camp house opens around 8 am. if you arrive after 8 am check in there and they will show you to the site. DO NOT register there or pay either. I will be collecting CASH from everyone. If you arrive before 8 am call me[masked] and I will meet you and let you in.

    May 9

    • Denise P.

      Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to this.

      May 9

  • Michael T.

    Howard, I'll be up late Friday night, do I need to do anything special to get in?

    May 9

  • Cathy N

    Though I could swing it for Sat Night, but just to much going on! Bummed!

    May 9

  • Denise P.

    Howard-As it stands now, I will be working very late on Friday night and do not expect to arrive until Saturday morning. I do plan to camp on Saturday night. Any special instructions for Sat AM arrivals? What time do I need to be there? Will the campground office have a list of who is part of this group to make check-in easier? Thanks.

    May 9

  • Howard M.

    Everyone will pay me in cash on the weekend for the campsites and livery. Right around $25 per person for everything. I will post a final number after this weekend. I will be up there again camping and will finalize details and post for everyone. Campers need only check in at the camp house and you will be escorted to the campsites. we have the entire waterfront reserved for us.

    1 · April 29

    • Jean

      That's fantastic. Thank you Howard.

      April 29

    • Jenny

      My +1 and I will only kayak on Saturday.

      May 5

  • Lucie

    should i bring my wood kayak or a plastic one? Wood is faster but not rock friendly

    1 · May 2

    • Kimmie

      Your wood will be fine. Since the water is so deep, there shouldn't be many rocks.

      May 3

  • Howard M.

    My experience with this river is when the water level is around 5 feet or higher there are very few rocks and low spots. When lower there are some rocks and minor rapids. At less than 4 feet you could scrape bottom in a few spots. The river is high now and not sure where it will be in 2 weeks. I would suggest the plastic boat. Speed won't be an issue here as we will be going down river at all times.

    May 3

  • Kathie

    Bummer - I was sooo looking forward to this, but have to cancel. I'll be out of commission for about 6 weeks and will look forward to getting back in the swing of this.

    May 2

  • Jean

    Have to change, didn't want to wait last minute so someone else could sign up and plan.

    May 2

  • Roberta

    I'm sorry to have to cancel on this fun camping trip with you all. My work has its annual meeting in 4 weeks in Africa and I'm afraid this trip would just add more stress rather than be relaxing. Sorry to miss a fun weekend with great people...have a great time!

    May 1

  • kbkayaker

    Howard, since Chuck cannot be at this meetup please bring a bunch of the CKA shirts & stickers...you're sure to unload them

    April 29

  • Jean

    I just got off the wait list. Would anyone be interested in sharing a tent site? I own a tent.

    April 28

    • Jean

      So then I just need to bring my gear? Do we reimburse Howard?

      April 28

    • Kimmie

      Yes, just bring your gear and food, plus the $25 for Howard to pay for site and shuttle. It is going to be great!

      April 29

  • Howard M.

    Don't know the answer if it is needed. You can check the website where you buy it. I will check too. I have it on one boat on a sticker on the hull and on another it is etched into the hull near the back of the boat where the deck meets the hull. hope this is helpful.

    April 26

  • kbkayaker

    cannot seem to find a HIN anywhere on my kayak.
    Does it matter to them?

    April 25, 2014

  • Howard M.

    Hopefully this works. A link to a video of campground.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152469623857932

    April 23, 2014

  • Howard M.

    Hi gang. I went to Buttonwood for the weekend and we had a great time. Floated down river on Monday. It was great. Took some photos for all to see. Go to this link.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152469594052932.1073741832.629717931&type=1&l=a5bd894eed
    I will post a video to (i hope) of the camping area.

    Some news. All campers arriving check in at camp house but do not pay there. I will be collecting for the group. It is $6 per night per person. I will also be collecting for livery. Approximately $4 per person per trip. Nice round number of $20 per person for the weekend. Please bring cash for this.
    Campers arriving after the camp house is closed call this number[masked] and some one will escort you to the sites.

    April 23, 2014

  • Mike C.

    As posted, Theresa and myself will be sponsoring an "Orange Crush" nite Saturday, so by all means please be our guess for a thirst quenching "beverage" and some fun along the way. Our RV is also a fully equipped unit complete with ice maker for anyone that would like free ice :)

    April 22, 2014

  • Gail D.

    I just changed my reservation to +1. My daughter and her fiancé will be joining us for th Sunday paddle only and not camping. She's going to call the campground and make the kayak reservations herself. Question- she needs to mention that she's with the CKA group? Anything else?

    April 13, 2014

    • Gail D.

      Ok plans changed again..... Daughter and fiancé will be coming late Saturday after work, and will camp Saturday night and paddle Sunday.

      April 14, 2014

  • Howard M.

    Anyone renting from the campground should call ASAP to reserve a boat. We will be going out around 9 am each day. Reserve for that time and tell them your with our group. Livery and permits are covered if you rent from them.

    April 13, 2014

  • kbkayaker

    Clarification: I checked with the livery at Buttonwood, If you are renting one of their kayaks you are covered.
    All their boats have the required permit sticker. If you are using your own gear and simply using their transport you will need your own permit sticker.

    April 13, 2014

  • Howard M.

    I found a link to purchase Launch Permits online.
    https://www.pa.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

    April 13, 2014

  • kbkayaker

    Okay, no problem either way....

    April 11, 2014

  • Howard M.

    Saturday is the busiest day for the campground with their own boat and tube rentals. As we will need all of their shuttle vehicles for our group it is best if they take us first thing in the morning. The pickup on Sunday downstream won't be a problem as that is their slowest time. The drive is not more than 20 minutes and we don't have a formal checkout time.

    April 11, 2014

  • kbkayaker

    Howard, the itinerary you just described is reversed from your original description (Sunday launch upstream and end at Buttonwood) this is better so folks can get back to the campground and pack up to leave at their own leisure instead of waiting for the shuttle as well as stragglers.

    April 10, 2014

  • Howard M.

    Yes we park near the tents. Ok to arrive late. I will have to check for a gate code for late arrivals. Saturday we shuttle up river and paddle to the campsite. Sunday we launch fro the campsite and get picked up an returned.

    April 10, 2014

  • Jenny

    Will we be parking near out tents? Is it okay to arrive late? 9:00. In the morning will be just push the kayaks off and go, or are we driving to a launch spot?

    1 · April 10, 2014

Cancelled

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create a Meetup Group and meet new people

Get started Learn more
Henry

I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.

Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy