Stephanie K.
user 136863482
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
I'm sure everyone has heard of the new Oru Kayak. I love that its so portable but I hate to buy it without trying one out first. I was wondering if anyone here has one I could take for a test ride?
Brian B
Baykayaking
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 71
I don't know anyone that has one, but I'd love to try yours after you buy it.
Chuck
user 7308281
Group Organizer
Dayton, MD
Post #: 215
I'll second Brian on that. It just seems sort of strange to me that after tons and tons of publicity about the Oru, NO ONE in the Baltimore Washington kayak community seems to even be aware of ANYONE who has one. I'm starting to think it's just a bunch of hype and not much more. Maybe we can get Deke to buy one and let us all try it.
Deke M.
dekemiller
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 199
Can't say I have much interest in owning foldable/inflatable kayaks or SUPs. I have no problem storing or transporting boats/boards so the hit in performance and the added setup and take down time has never really interested me. I too wouldn't mind trying one, just have no intention of owning anything like that.
Marc
user 27387222
Washington, DC
Post #: 33
We saw a guy paddling one at Little Seneca Lake a couple of weeks ago. The seam on top of the deck is not water right. So I wouldn't go in rough water with it.
Efrem O.
user 42359542
Potomac, MD
Post #: 8
Let me turn this around a bit.

Many members can help solve portability issues if that is the driver of your interest in this make/model. This is a creative, diverse, friendly, enthusiastic, and helpful group so ask about transport and storage solutions at the next event you attend. You will see kayaks arriving in many ways so pick a transport method that meets your needs and the member will be happy to share details, pros, cons, costs...

Efrem
Howard M.
user 50795482
Columbia, MD
Post #: 26
Good suggestion if portability is driver. As the now owner of 4 boats (one inflatable) and two Smart cars and four different Kayak Carriers I have a small novel of info to share.
Louis S.
user 26484752
Rockville, MD
Post #: 6
In addition to the obvious easy portability of the Oru, what appeals to me is that you could pretty much leave one or two of them in the trunk of many vehicles all the time. They would just be there, ready for spur-of-the-moment recreational jaunts no matter where you are. That might be great for some lifestyles. I would only want to use one on very flat lakes and/or close to shore though.
Matt A.
user 50027792
Columbia, MD
Post #: 6
I saw one! I saw one! I was at Daniels this afternoon and a guy hopped out of a convertible with one. He didn't mind me leering at him as he assembled it for its inaugural run. It took him about 20 minutes to set it up since he forgot the directions. After a few practice runs I'd say you could get it from trunk to water inside of five minutes. Like someone mentioned before, the top seam is not super waterproof (same with the nose of the bow). However, it looked to handle very well once he got going. It has hard chines and a cross section that I'm sure would make beginners uneasy, but the guy seemed to know what he was doing and took right off in it. I'm not sure this very-well-engineered-ikea-closet is worth $800, but it certainly seems to get you closer to the performance of a real kayak than most inflatables I've tried.
Anne M.
user 13665530
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 8
Looking at specs and price point- I have an advanced elements semi-rigid inflatable that travels on a plane under 50 pounds. Can't see how much more oru would add for addtl 1000 dollars. It's nice to have the flexibility and portability as an option