Updated January 29, 2014
Join us bread bakers, as we increase our skill and versatility in the bread-baking craft.
Monthly "Taste-and-Tell" meetings: Every second Sunday at 4pm, October-April. Second Sunday meetings May-September if sufficient desire from bakers to hold meetings in the warmer months. Additional workshops and special meetings from time to time.
About us: We're a group of avid, autodidactic bread bakers. We gather each month to share our bread-baking experiences and learn from one another. Begun in January 2011 as a group for amateurs, over the years we've developed into a resource for amateurs and professionals, alike.
This group is for you if you'd like to:
*Meet fellow bread bakers and compare experiences with them.
*Get feedback on your loaves.
*Expand your repertoire of bread-baking skills and techniques.
*Be inspired and motivated to bake bread on a regular basis.
Who should not attend? Those who:
* Have never baked a loaf of bread.
* Have no experience working with yeast (wild or commercial).
* Are looking for lessons in making bread. (We don't teach in a one-to-many fashion. Rather, each baker teaches him/herself, then brings experience and knowledge to share with the group.)
Fees: Other than annual dues of $15, none. We strive to make our events free or very low cost, e.g., the price of a cup of coffee. We are grateful to our generous sponsors, who make this possible.
* To each event, bring yeasted bread you have baked to share with the group.
* Arrive on time. If you're late, please join the group quietly, without disrupting conversation.
* Don't RSVP and then not show up. Do it, and the organizers will remove you from the group, and you'll forfeit your annual dues.
#BreadChat: We also organize #BreadChat, the monthly Twitter chat for bread bakers: www.breadstorm.com/breadchat.html.
© 2011-2014 Chicago Amateur Bread Bakers. The materials on this website may be freely copied and distributed so long as our copyright notice (© 2011-2014 Chicago Amateur Bread Bakers) and website address (http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Amateur-Bread...) are included.
Payment of meetup fees.
Providing a monthly meeting venue & flour for bakers to bake into bread.
Providing locally milled whole wheat flour, rye flour, and cornmeal.
Providing freshly spent brewer's grains, to bake into our loaves.
Serving refreshments at our "Homemade Bread Showcase," July 13, 2011.
Textiles for our tables at our "Homemade Bread Showcase," July 13, 2011.
Providing a venue for our "Homemade Bread Showcase" on July 13, 2011.
Promotion of our "Homemade Bread Showcase" on July 13, 2011.