Friday evening, we camp next to the Manistee River. Saturday we will hike along the Manistee River Trail for approximately 10 miles and camp near the river. Sunday we meet our boats at the river. The nice people from the rental shop will take our backpacks, so no need to fear that your gear will get wet. We will kayak down the river (approximately 4 hours) to our cars. Then, drive back to Chicago.
You can choose between canoes or single kayak. Their single kayaks are open kayaks, no prior experiences required.It is also possible to rent tandem kayaks. However, according to the rental manager, it is easier to tip over with tandems.
You will be asked if you prefer canoe or kayak when rsvp. We will do our best to accommodate. However, it is not 100% guaranteed.The organizers reserve the rights to make the final arrangements.
You will need to pay $20 when rsvp via PayPal. No refunds will be given, no exceptions made - please be sure that you can attend before committing to this trip!!
- $5 meet up fee
- $10 boat deposits(for both kayaks and canoes)
- $5 boat transportation ( might be waved or discounted if we have 12 boats)
You will need to bring the cash to the trip to pay for the rest rental fees. The exact amount depends on whether you choose a canoe or a single kayak and the final boat transporting fees. We will let you know the final numbers before the trip.
- Canoe or tandem kayak - $16.5 per person
- Kayak: single kayak ;$37 per person
- MUST BE ABLE TO SWIM
- This trip is fine for beginning kayakers
- Intermediate level backpacking - you should have at least attended a bootcamp and another trip with the group or have enough previous experience - attendance is at the organizer's discretion
- Car pool will be arranged.
- No dogs or minors; no +1 (guests have to sign up themselves)