This will be a three night weekend trip to North Manitou Island just off the coast of Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan. We will be spending Thursday night at a campground near the park and depart for the island by ferry on Friday morning. We will spend two nights backcountry camping on the Island and return to Chicago late on Sunday.
These dates and times are weather permitting, you should be ready to stay an extra day on the island if there is bad weather on the water and the boats are unable to run.
For those who haven't been, Manitou Islands offer relaxed hiking and camping, pretty beaches, and some interesting historical sites. Weekends are always a little busy, but hopefully it will be a bit quieter than the summer.
You must purchase your own round trip ferry ticket through Manitou Island Transit. Please reserve your ticket ASAP. There are limited seats available and they do sell out.
Depart for North Island: Friday, September 21st, 10am (check in at 9am)
Return to mainland: Sunday, September 23rd, afternoon
In addition to the Ferry ticket ($35) and Meetup fee attendees are also responsible for their share of the cost of the camping and backcountry permits. This should total somewhere around $15-$20 per person.
You are also responsible for bringing all necessary gear (weather appropriate clothing, backpack, tent, stove, food, method for water filtration, etc.) The island is maintained as a wilderness, there are no facilities available.
All the other usual procedures apply:
1. If you are new to backpacking, you should not be on this trip. You should have been on at least a bootcamp before signing up. If you have not been on a bootcamp, but have other backpacking experience, feel free to RSVP, but one of the organizers will email you later to get a sense of your backpacking experience.
2. Carpool arrangements will be made by the organizers. No need to solicit rides :)
3. Only group members may attend. +1 add-ons are not permitted as we have a limited number of attendees that is determined by park regulations and organizers' abilities to safely lead a group of a specific size. If you have a friend that wishes to attend, please have him or her join the group and add themselves to the list.
4. Dogs, minors, or other dependents are not permitted on this trip.
5. You are expected to follow Leave No Trace practices.
Feel free to email us with any further questions.
Sarah and Spencer