November 22, 2012 · 7:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
Thanksgiving backpacking trip - Advanced
This will be a long weekend backpacking trip in the beautiful late fall (or winterlike?) landscape of the Red River Gorge in Kentucky.
I love backpacking this time of year! And I'd love to have you join me, but fair warning: The trip is designed for experienced backpackers with club experience. Email one of the organizers if you any questions about your readiness. Or if you're new to the club, we may make exceptions. Just let us know about your other backpacking experience.
Thursday morning, Nov. 22nd (Thanksgiving Day)
Carpools leave the Chicago are by ~8:00 a.m. Drive approximately 7 hours to the gorge, stopping for lunch along the way. There is a one hour time change and a 5:20pm sunset, the goal will be to set up before dark. We'll start our hike and camp a short way from the cars, or perhaps we'll car camp the first night - TBD
Friday - Sat
Get an early start Friday, and complete two full days of backpacking. The exact route will be finalized later, but expect to hike ~25 rugged miles over these two days.
Sunday, Nov. 25th
Hike back to the cars.
Get lunch in the area and return to Chicago by ~9pm
- We practice Leave No Trace and expect that everyone attending is also committed to these principles. http://lnt.org/
- This is an advanced trip due to the rugged terrain, short daylight hours, and potential for cold weather.
- No add-ons. If your friend wants to attend, please ask him/her to sign up for the meetup site and join the trip through normal procedures.
- No pets, children, or other dependents.
- The waitlist will be governed by a strict "first come, first served" policy
Organizers will make the car pool arrangements, within reason, so that everyone may attend. They will plan the route of the trip, coordinate any needed logistics, and facilitate any details of the trip related to requirements of the park location.
Details on carpool arrangements, directions and contact information will be determined about a week before the trip.
Cost is $5.00 per person payable at the time of sign up.
Please contact us through the meetup site (email)
Mike and Hui