November 30, 2012 · 7:00 PM
Who wants to sleep out in the cold a couple of nights in December? I'd like to head out with a small group of hearty souls interested in honing winter camping skills. Weather and snow permitting, one of the goals of this trip is to build a snow shelter. (I have said this 5 years in a row now, maybe this will finally be the year it happens!)
It is very important to understand that winter camping involves serious risks and requires special gear. This trip is absolutely for experienced backpackers. Due to the group's policies, members who have not gone on a bootcamp or other such evaluation-type trip with us may not attend "Advanced" trips (which this is) until they do so. If you are unsure of your skills and/or gear, please wait for one of the "intro to winter" camping trips. Attendance is at the discretion of the organizer and also please note that this trip might have to be canceled at the last minute if weather and/or road conditions become hazardous.
- We practice Leave No Trace and expect that everyone attending is also committed to these principles. http://lnt.org/
- The route and distance of this trip will be variable, based on weather conditions. However, the terrain is chalenging and packs are heavy with winter gear so a reasonable level of fitness is necessary.
- No add-ons. If your friend wants to attend, please ask him/her to sign up for the meetup site and join the trip through normal procedures.
- No pets, children, or other dependents.
- The waitlist will be governed by a strict "first come, first served" policy
Organizers will make the car pool arrangements, within reason, so that everyone may attend. They will plan the route of the trip, coordinate any needed logistics, and facilitate any details of the trip related to requirements of the park location.
Details on carpool arrangements, directions and contact information will be determined about a week before the trip.
Cost is $5.00 per person payable at the time of sign up.