align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Chicago C/C++ Users Group Message Board › Meeting schedule & topics

Meeting schedule & topics

Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 51
Sticking to our fourth Tuesdays schedule, we'll make every effort to hold a presentation on an interesting topic May 24. (We could try for March 22, but there's not much time to get ready unless someone has something ready now and offers a place to meet.)

We'll begin our May 24 meeting with a brief discussion of the results of our April 26 planning session and, if all goes well, election of officers for the coming year.

That will be followed by an interesting presentation. Since we have plenty of time, I'm confident that we'll have an excellent program on a topic of interest. Please post, starting now, your suggestions for May or beyond or volunteer yourself.

I think we better serve our members and attract attendance by presentations that give less emphasis to how facilities work (tutorial) than to how to use facilities wisely in realistic programming situations. However, I'm aware that some members disagree, so we'll give careful consideration to either kind of proposal, and comments from all members will influence the choice. In your suggestions try to explain WHY your proposed topic should interest members of varying levels of experience.

Nevin ".
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 33
1. People should present what they are passionate about.

2. If folks are looking for things to present, the last two presentations had good attendance, so stuff along those lines is a good bet.

3. Unless people are working on open source projects, I don't see how they are going to show anything more than contrived examples. Plus, real code tends to be drowned in a sea of irrelevant details (with respect to whatever topic is being presented).

4. Ultimately, we are looking for presenters.

At my last job, we spent months going through a laundry list of topics people said they wanted to learn about. It was predictably a huge waste of time, since the only things that ever got taught were whatever volunteers decided they wanted to present. I don't plan on ever doing that again (certainly not without getting paid.)

In summary: don't tell us what you want others to do; tell us what you are willing to do.
Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 52

3. Unless people are working on open source projects, I don't see how they are going to show anything more than contrived examples. Plus, real code tends to be drowned in a sea of irrelevant details (with respect to whatever topic is being presented).

Nevin misunderstood my recommendation that a presentation should emphasize "how to use facilities wisely in realistic programming situations". That doesn't mean an actual complete application, of course, but just a situation that might arise in a programmer's problem solving activity. It doesn't require any "irrelevant details" at all, and in fact ought to come across as more relevant (and therefore more helpful) than a contrived tutorial.

I tried to satisfy that criterion in my own presentation to the group, September, 2009, and the feedback I got indicated that it succeeded. If anyone who was there disagrees, then I'd welcome your comments even now.
Nevin ".
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 35
I didn't mean to imply that the last two presentations were the only good ones; I just don't tend to remember the specifics and details of meetings much further back than that.
Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 54
No, Nevin, I wasn't suggesting that you were being critical of earlier presentations, including my own. In fact, I don't recall whether you were there at all.

In any case, let's hope that most of our future meetings will be memorable, in the sense that they'll have an impact on the way attendees develop software afterwards.