Chicago C/C++ Users Group Message Board › Membership qualification

Membership qualification

Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 66
In two years our group has acquired nearly 200 members.

Some of those members will never attend one of our meetings and will never meet any members who do attend. That's because they don't live in the area served by our group, the CHICAGO C/C++ Users.

Just today someone in New York joined our group and immediately sent us a commercial solicitation. Did he join because of his interest in C++? Can we expect him to contribute?

Naturally we welcome dialogue with the worldwide C/C++ User community. However, we also hope to retain our focus as a group of professionals who may come together for mutually beneficial discussion and interaction.

Would it be appropriate now to partition our membership into two classes?
A: Those who are likely to attend an occasional meeting.
B: Those who will probably never attend one of our meetings
Those who list their location in the Chicago area will be considered class A members by default. Those who are based out of town will be class B unless they explicitly declare their intention to participate in our activities. Class A members will vote to elect officers and determine policy.

Your opinion?

Nevin ".
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 43
I'm strongly against it.

I really don't like class systems, because all they do is alienate people.

People joining our group from far away with the intent of sabotaging the group is a non-problem.

Spamming the list is a different issue. If possible (I don't know how to do it with Meetup, but maybe one of the other co-organizers can figure it out, as they all should now have the same privileges as me with the exception that I pay the bill), the organizers should moderate the list and let through only relevant content, at least in my opinion. That still leaves open the question about whether or not headhunters should be allowed to post. Personally, I'd rather keep the list for technical, meeting and organizational topics only. Then again, I'm employed and some on this list might want to see those messages.

Some people behave badly. It has nothing to do with how far away they live from Chicago, so policies based upon geography will not stop bad behavior. Deal with them individually instead.
Nevin ".
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 44
I'm strongly against it.

I really don't like class systems, because all they do is alienate people.

People joining our group from far away with the intent of sabotaging the group is a non-problem.

Spamming the list is a different issue. If possible (I don't know how to do it with Meetup, but maybe one of the other co-organizers can figure it out, as they all should now have the same privileges as me with the exception that I pay the bill), the organizers should moderate the list and let through only relevant content, at least in my opinion. That still leaves open the question about whether or not headhunters should be allowed to post. Personally, I'd rather keep the list for technical, meeting and organizational topics only. Then again, I'm employed and some on this list might want to see those messages.

Some people behave badly. It has nothing to do with how far away they live from Chicago, so policies based upon geography will not stop bad behavior. Deal with them individually instead.
Jay F. S.
Shachter
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 7
they all should now have the same privileges as me
with the exception that I pay the bill.

Hey, I paid my share of the bill at the last organizational meeting.
So did a bunch of other people, if I recall correctly.

As for the proposal that began this discussion -- it may be a
good idea some time in the future, but for the moment, I don't
see the need. The group is not being flooded with unwanted
messages. And I don't think that anyone, even someone
employed in his dream job who would never consider switching
jobs, would begrudge other members of the group the few
postings that have appeared here from job brokers. How many
have there been, really, in the past year? I think I could count
them all on the fingers of one hand, and not need most of its
fingers to do so. As for commercial solicitations that are not
employment-related -- I'm really not aware that there have
been any. Maybe I missed them, maybe they were deleted
by my own spam filtering. But even if people do post messages
here looking to sell their software, well hey, those messages
might be useful too, maybe their software is worth buying.
Now, advertisements for products that, shall we say, promote
marital happiness, are another story; but I haven't seen any
in this group.
Nevin ".
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 45
Didn't mean to imply that I am solely paying the bill (the organizers and co-organizers are currently splitting it out of our own pockets). a far as Meetup is concerned, the only difference there should be between me as organizer and the others as co-organizers i s that my credit card gets charged. If you are missing from the organizers list, remind me next week...

Sorry about that...
Nevin :-)
Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 68
As for the proposal that began this discussion -- it may be a
good idea some time in the future, but for the moment, I don't
see the need. The group is not being flooded with unwanted
messages.

I'm not worried about "unwanted messages", and in any case what I
proposed (See my original proposal above.) wouldn't exclude anyone
from group membership or from using our message board.

However, we shall soon be voting on various things that affect the active
members, including:
- election of permanent (2011-2012) officers
- approval of by-laws
- whether to affiliate with ACM SIGPLAN
Frankly, I don't want someone in Australia whom we shall never see
at a meeting influencing those decisions.
Nevin ".
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 46
Frankly, I don't want someone in Australia whom we shall never see
at a meeting influencing those decisions.

They'd have to be pretty dumb then to let you make them 2nd class citizens before they get to vote. The Australians I know are smarter than that.

Like I said, this is a non-problem...