Chicago C/C++ Users Group Message Board › Getting organized (again)

Getting organized (again)

Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Our C/C++ Users' Group is faced with a collection of urgent issues that may well determine our survival:

• We need to approve our draft by-laws and become an official entity.  We don't need to talk about doing so at some vague time in the future; we've already been doing that for too long.  It's time to act.
  • Then we need to nominate and elect permanent officers.
  • We need to collect dues, a meeting charge, or another way of becoming financially stable, and we need to renew our web site.
  • We just conducted our worst and most embarrassing meeting in over two years.  It's fortunate that half the people who registered were discouraged by the weather, but some of the people who did come may not return.
  • We've lined up an extremely risky speaker for April, just a few weeks from now, and we don't even know his topic, which may have little to do with C++ programming.  If members who were turned off by the February fiasco also feel they've wasted an April evening, they'll be gone for good.

If you're interested in helping our group to attack these challenges or willing to serve in a leadership role during the coming year, come to tomorrow evening's ACM chapter meeting

http://www.chicagoacm...­

at 5:45, and join the discussion at the "C/C++ Users' Group" table.  Bring supper, if you wish, from one of the many carry-out places in the area.
Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 109
A few of us got together before last night's ACM Chapter meeting to discuss these issues informally. Since our interim leader, Jay Shachter, wasn't with us, these are only recommendations.

First, one member pointed out that the draft by-laws at
http://ccug.chicago.i...­
need more response than a simple yes-or-no vote. Much of what's there is fine, but we need to edit some strange terminology ("junta") and tidy up a few paragraphs.

My suggestion: Let's set March 30 as a deadline for proposing editing changes. Then, if the interim steering committee agrees, we'll post the final edited version for an up-or-down vote before our April meeting.

Although we have over 400 members, only a minority will actually vote. I propose that we adopt the edited bylaws and declare ourselves an official organization if a majority of those voting approve by April 23.

Another member wondered whether we shouldn't just remain an informal meetup group needing neither by-laws nor treasury. I strongly recommend against that option, mainly for financial reasons. The interim steering committee has been paying for our web site for three years, and can't be expected to continue to do so. Volunteer hosts have been providing meeting space and sometimes refreshments and supper. Once we elect permanent officers, they will determine how we will acquire funds for such expenses, perhaps a modest fee for attending a meeting or annual dues.