addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago C/C++ Users Group Message Board › Introduction: Olinga Abbott

Introduction: Olinga Abbott

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 5
I'm the Chicago C/C++ Users Group Organizer. I started this group because I looked for a C/C++ Users Group in Chicago but came up empty.

C++ was the first programming language I gained real proficiency in but that was entirely in college. I have an MS in CS/Software Engineering and an MBA. I actually work professionally with Java at Digitas and have probably written fewer than 100 lines of C++ in the past five years, the length of my professional career. I mostly write Servlet code but I want to re-ignite my skills in C++ and C. My plain-C skills are rather weak: I am spoiled on cin/cout/new and want to get familiar with the printf/scanf/malloc way of coding.

Some topics I am interested in include
* Using C on Unix: I hope to gain experience with the Unix C API and the GNU Toolchain.
* Hard-core Computer Science topics like concurrency, real-time computing, and algorithms. I took the wishy-washy Software Engineering classes in grad school because I lacked the math background to read Don Knuth. Five years later, I'm beginning to appreciate real Computer Science.
* Applying Agile Development to C coding, especially regarding Unit Testing.

I'm probably too rusty with C/C++ to present an interesting topic at a meeting any time soon, but I hope to present eventually.

I started the web site Count From Zero (http://www.countfromz...­, a directory of programming tools and libraries, but this effort was cut short when I contracted Mononucleosis in 2007 and remained sick for six months, losing my contractor position in the process. After recovering I just never got around to working on the site again but hope to do so in the future.