|Sent on:||Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:43 AM|
Job Description - CONTENT MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT
ABOUT THE AMERICAN PLANNING ASSOCIATION
The American Planning Association is an independent, not-for-profit educational organization that provides leadership in the development of vital communities by advocating excellence in community planning, promoting education and citizen empowerment, and providing the tools and support necessary to meet the challenges of growth and change.
THE APA TEAM
As a thought leader and national professional membership organization, the American Planning Association is heavily invested in providing comprehensive, authoritative, and practical information via print and electronic publication channels. The APA is seeking an intelligent and creative individual who is motivated to contribute to the organization’s ambitious electronic publications and data management initiatives.
JOB DESCRIPTION – CONTENT MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT
The Content Management Assistant manages and tracks copyright and other permissions agreements for all APA content. The position acts as a liaison to print and e-publications vendors and works with graphic designers, editors, and IT staff to manage final design files and metadata records for all content. The position works closely with the Manager of Content Strategy to maintain integrity of metadata and works with the editorial team, Manager of Content Strategy, and Digital Asset Coordinator to coordinate publishing and QA schedules.
Position Duties Include:
• Serves as contact for print and e-publications vendors.
• Acts as liaison with R. R. Bowker, Library of Congress, external distributors, and other partners to obtain and distribute key publications data (ISBN , ISSN, LCCN assignment, etc.)
• Maintains precise records of copyright permissions obtained from authors.
• Handles inbound permissions requests in structured and consistent fashion
• Assists Manager of Content Strategy with recordkeeping related to relationships with aggregators and other content partners (EBSCO, Copyright Clearance Center, etc.)
• Performs quality checks on all publication metadata assigned by editorial team.
• Maintains files for author contracts and permissions.
• Assists Manager of Content Strategy with development and enforcement of file management best practices.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, or related field.
• Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
• Knowledge of standard publications practices.
• Working knowledge in Adobe CS5 and Adobe InCopy and working knowledge of XML, metadata, and taxonomies.
• Awareness of e-publications standards and developing trends.
• Ability to manage a high volume of records with efficiency and accuracy.
• Fluency with standard applications in Microsoft Office Suite.
WHY JOIN THE TEAM
• Join a talented and motivated team
• Work in a creative, fun, and collaborative environment using latest technologies
• Excellent benefits, vacation, and competitive salary
• Excellent opportunity for professional growth
HOW TO APPLY
Send cover letter (required) and resume to: [address removed]
This position located in APA’s Chicago office in downtown Chicago.
Learn more about the American Planning Association at
The American Planning Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Rana Salzmann, M.A., M.L.S. | Manager of Content Strategy
American Planning Association
205 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60601