Chicago Ember.js Message Board › A long over due apology and explanation

A long over due apology and explanation

Ryan Y.
ryanyogan
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
Greetings,

If you do not remember me my name is Ryan Yogan, I started this group with all the right intentions however I failed and I believe I owe everyone an apology and an explanation.

Last year I became extremely interested in Ember.js, I had been following the group ever since it was dubbed "SproutCore 2." I posted on twitter one day if there where any groups in the Chicago area for Ember and to my surprises there was not. Trek came along and said it would be great if we had a group here, and I had the pleasure of meeting with an extremely bright individual who was beyond passionate about teaching, creating and building rich applications with a framework that saves developers time. I was excited to meet Trek, I enjoyed all the talks about the group we had, and I was happy to make a new friend in this crazy development world filled with many arrogant "I'm better than you, you don't know what I know" attitudes. I thought to myself this is awesome, I want to be a part of this community, I want to help others learn. I started off with nothing but the best intentions.

Having said that, I failed all of you, I bit off more than I can chew and I did not allocate my time appropriately with the original goal I had. I could sit and point fingers and say I did not receive the proper help in booking a place for us to meetup, this person didn't book the place when they said they would, etc. In the end it came down to me, I could have and should have planned everything out appropriately instead of making empty promises for all of you who cleared your schedules time and time again with the simple intention of further educating yourself.

I am beyond grateful that many individuals stepped up to the plate and took over when I was not delivering on my promises. At first I was angry, I couldn't understand why people where lashing out at me. I now know see the full picture and even though my intentions where for the better good, they don't mean much when I was predictably letting people down. I was not happy with my current job, I was not happy with myself, and I was pushing off a commitment that I made to all of you. This is not rite, I should have never made the commitment if I knew personally that I was not in the proper mental capacity to educate, organize and take a little time out of my day to help others. As I look back at all the rescheduling and failures as a leader I am somewhat sickened that I let over 160 people down.

So I personally want to apologize to each and everyone of you, I want to thank Trek, Erik, and many others that flew in from across the US just to help others learn and all I had to do was commit to a simple schedule. I am not going to let this go, I am actively working on something that I hope will help all of you, I will not talk about it until it is done as I do not want to let anyone down yet again but I made a commitment and it is time to stand up to to that commitment and come through.

Sincerely,
Ryan Yogan
Erik B.
ebryn
Oakland, CA
Post #: 1
Hey Ryan,

I appreciate you recognizing and admitting your mistakes.

I think we should let Trek and I organize the meetups for a while until they've stabilized a bit. If you wanted to help out with logistics on the day of the meetup that would be greatly appreciated.

- Erik