addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Heavy Metal Group Message Board › Poll: 1970-1979 Hard ‘n’ Heavy ‘n’ Loud + Krautrock, Arty, Noisy, Weird, Fun

Poll: 1970-1979 Hard ‘n’ Heavy ‘n’ Loud + Krautrock, Arty, Noisy, Weird, Funky, Punky Albums

Töny
Fastnbulbous
Chicago, IL
Post #: 17
There's a poll going on at ILM, a discussion board I've participated in for over a decade. It started in the UK so a fair amount of Brits, a great Rolling Metal discussion with contributors from magazines like Terrorizer and Decibel, and ordinary fans.

Lurkers are welcome, so feel free to sign up and participate if you have an interest in heavy 70s rock! My article, which promotes a few albums, has links to the poll thread, list of albums and ballot, due March 9 (or possibly the 1st).

http://fastnbulbous.c...­

If you are not up for doing a 20-100 album ballot, feel free to just mention some favorites here.

Stooges and Sabbath top my list, and probably in the third spot is this:

Flower Travellin’ Band – Satori (Atlantic/Phoenix, 1971)
As with Krautrocksampler Julian Cope once again was the first to introduce me to some long-neglected albums with Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock ‘n’ Roll (2007). Satori was tied with Eve (1971) by Speed, Glue & Shinki as the greatest Japanese rock album of all time. I’m definitely on board with Flower Travellin’ Band, whose iconic cover from their debut Anywhere (1970) is featured on the cover of Cope’s book. Cope described Satori as their “most singular and demented work, coming over like some super-fit combination of Led Zeppelin’s ‘The Immigrant Song’ and the Yardbirds’ ‘Happenings Ten Years Time Ago’ as played by a non-blues guitarist such as Michael Schenker, or perhaps Uli John Roth’s power trio Electric Sun.” While I would categorize Satori as proto-metal, the song structures are so far out and guitarist Hideki Ishima’s playing is so original that the album resembles nothing else. It seems only recently that contemporary bands from Japan, Sweden and the U.S. have begun tapping into Flower Travellin’ Band as an influence.

Also in my top ten are space rock (Hawkwind) guitar-heavy Krautrock (Guru Guru) and Stray, an amazing proto-metal band that was pretty under the radar.