The Chicago-area Homebirth Meetup Group Message Board Referrals › Info on Christina Oser and Genesis Family Midwifery

Info on Christina Oser and Genesis Family Midwifery

Kalie E.
user 19862341
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Hi All,

I just started my search for a CNM that will come to Homewood to do a homebirth. Christina Oser from Genesis Family Midwifery is the first that I have received a positive response from. I was just wondering if anyone has used her services in the past or know much about her and her practice. Thanks for any info.

Kalie
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 277
It is very important that you understand the difference between the different training for homebirth midwives and what that can mean. There is no licensing or regulation for non nurse midwives in IL. Certified Nurse Midwives ( CNM) are nurses with a maters in midwifery. They are regulated under their nursing license. Certified Professional Midwives (CPM) are certified by a national program not recognized by the state of IL. Twenty seven other states do license and regulate CPMs including Wisconsin. There are a number of other midwives - often referred to as direct entry midwives practicing in IL - mostly in the western suburbs. It is difficult to evaluate the training for these midwives. My concern is that they do not have minimum standards of practice. I do not refer to this type of midwife and ask that parents ask for proof of training and background before hiring them. As a parent you must interview any midwife and use benchmarks to evaluate if they are a good match for you. If you want more information I work with parents who are comparing hospital vs home as a birth place. There is a great deal to consider when becoming a parent. I also help with the many parenting decisions you will be making. It is best to make informed decisions so that you can protect the precious health and well being of your child beginning with pregnancy. Just because a practice or procedure is common in our culture does not mean it is in the best interest of your child.

I'm happy to speak with parents who want to make informed decisions. Jo Anne Lindberg - 847-733-8050.