addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Chicago-area Homebirth Meetup Group Message Board Chicago Homebirth Forum & General Discussion › please help!

please help! opportunity to make a difference in the life of an exceptional young woman.

haley
user 4779399
Chicago, IL
Post #: 15
Hi folks! I am looking for a little guidance here. I volunteer in the cook county detention center and often talk with the girls about their goals and dreams. Last Saturday I met a 15 yr old girl who would be starting her freshman yr in high school, but was caught up in some unfortunate circumstances that resulted in her detainment. While decorating leaves to put on a tree of dreams, she wrote "midwife." As a mom of 2 born at home and the daughter of a midwife in wisco, I started talking with her about her goal to become a midwife. She said she didn't understand why women go to hospitals and get hooked up to machines when they can stay home with their babies. She wants to make midwifery a real option for girls and women who generally don't have access to the best quality of care. We talked about midwifery school, doula training, and the challenges she is currently facing. One of the things we hope to do is connect girls with potential mentors, volunteer opportunities, or internships so they can begin to see the light at the end of a rather grim tunnel. If anyone has ideas for how to connect this young woman with an ally in the field, or a volunteer project please let me know.
best
haley
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 281
Haley - What kind of assistance are you looking for? Maybe if you can be more specific people could better respond. Feel free to email me at my personal email. I don't check this site as often.

--
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
Childbirth & Family Wellness
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com
haley
user 4779399
Chicago, IL
Post #: 16
Thanks Jo Anne. I appreciate your response. Unfortunately, the young woman I wrote about was placed in a residential facility since she did not have a family member who could responsibly care for her. She was given the telephone number for Girl Talk. We meet with the girls twice monthly-so if you know anyone interested on presenting about women's health and options for care that could be really awesome...just an idea. In the mean time, if Mya reaches out to Girl Talk, can I call you directly so we can talk about how to connect her with folks?
Thanks again.
Haley
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 284
Haley - I am interested in learning more about your ideas. Please feel free to call me some time and discuss.

Jo Anne Lindberg - 847-733-8050 or email me personally at bestbirth@birthlink.com.