add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Chicago-area Homebirth Meetup Group Message Board Referrals › Looking for a Home Birth Attendant that accepts public aid

Looking for a Home Birth Attendant that accepts public aid

A former member
Post #: 1
I know this may be a long shot, but I figured it could not hurt to ask.

My husband lost his job some months ago and, though we were planning to have another child, we have been blessed with an unexpected surprise. The test turned pink!!!

After having our last child at Mercy hospital (what a disaster THAT was), we decided, in the L&D room, that our next child would be born at home. From a nurse causing my labor to stop, a complete deviation from our birthing plan to feeling bullied and short of assaulted in the delivery room, we knew that with our next child that we wanted a more relaxed atmosphere and wanted to have more control of our birth journey.

When I went in, I was 3 cm, I took a shower and WAS painfree to 7cm. I was so painfree, in fact, that I thought my labor had stopped. I was checked JUST before I got into the shower an right after I got out, so while I was pain free, I was still in labor. It was not until the nurse decided that she needed me flat on my back to "monitor the baby" (translation, not do her job) for close to 2 hours, that my labor stopped.

I will NOT go through this again. So, I am looking for someone who is willing to accept public aid (we have Harmony) and attend a home birth. Assuming that I stay low risk through out my pregnancy, I will be having a home birth assisted or unassisted, though I would rather a professional were in attendance. However, if not, I guess then my husband and I have A LOT of studying to do over the next few months.

Thank you
Sue M.
Evanston, IL
Post #: 461
Debbie Boucher does a mix of public aid, cash and barter. I met with her but went a different route for my home birth. She was a bit far for my comfort level.­
Sue M.
Evanston, IL
Post #: 462
My home birth midwife was wonderful. She worked out a really great deal with us. Her name is Barb Belcore-Walkden. Email her and talk to her about your situation. bylanna23 at gmail dot com
Jo Anne L.
Evanston, IL
Post #: 290
Most homebirth midwives will give a discount for parents paying out of pocket. There is also a payment plan approach possible. The further a head you plan the easier it is to accomplish this. Most home birth midwives also take insurance which surprises many people. Never assume anything until proven otherwise!

I help parents work through many of the decisions for birth and parenting. If you have any questions or want to know more about a private birth & parenting options session let me know. I have been doing this work since 1996 and enjoy helping parents make informed decisions.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
Childbirth & Family Wellness
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201
Megan A.
user 35046332
Chicago, IL
Resurrecting this thread a bit! I will call Debbie Boucher in a bit, but I wanted to see if there were any other options since she's all the way out in Libertyville.
Lauren T.
user 14090230
Rockford, IL
Post #: 25
any knowledge of anyone a bit closer to rockford? libertyville and chicago are far for me.
A former member
Hello! We are opening an office in Chicago soon - probably by March 15. Give us a call at 847-816-4640. Jude in Rockford may take Medicaid. Her number is (815) 874-0633.

Debbie Boucher, CNM