The Chicago-area Homebirth Meetup Group Message Board Referrals › Sarah Simmons/New Life Midwifery? Experiences?

Sarah Simmons/New Life Midwifery? Experiences?

Megan A.
user 35046332
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
If you've used Sarah Simmons, please let me know how it went if you feel comfortable sharing. Right now she is my only option before a HBAC before going to a DEM- which my husband is comfortable with, but would prefer a CNM. It would also be nice to NOT have to shadow care with hospital midwives (who I do love), but if I must I will.

How was Sarah Simmons? Did you birth with her? How hands on/off was she, and how open to your preferences (like minimizing intervention, declining some routine tests) was she?

What routine tests does she do? Does she do ultrasound? Doppler? Did you decline any tests, and if so, what was the response?

Anyone know how "late" she'll let you go?

I'm waiting on a call back but I was hoping someone could help!

Edited to add: also- the cost? I'm paying out of pocket. Anyone know how payment works with her? Payment schedule? Due in full at beginning? Due before birth? Billed later?
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 296
First of all - do you understand the CPM designation and how that works? When I meet with parents I address these questions and more. I can tell you that Sarah is the most experienced home birth midwife. She is also more "hands off" and flexible than some. She is very busy due to repeat clients. It can take time to get calls returned. If you would like to talk to me about a possible consultation I'm happy to hear from you. I have been doing birth advocacy work since 1996 in the Chicago area. I'm happy to help.

Consults are an hour to an hour and a half and we cover the main decision making points for pregnancy, birth and early parenting. Parents find meeting with me increases confidence and joyful expectation! These are very good things to take to a birth and into parenting.

--
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
Childbirth & Family Wellness
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com
Megan A.
user 35046332
Chicago, IL
Post #: 3
I do understand the DEM/CPM/CNM thing.. the reason I prefer a CNM at this point is because if I went with a DEM or CPM I'd have to say I had an unassisted birth if I were to transfer. Sure, I could shadow care with hospital midwives so that I'd be able to back up having prenatal care... but it is really a hassle and I'd prefer to do without the screenings and ultrasounds and everything.
Emily R.
EmRobb
Evanston, IL
Post #: 2
We met with Sara before our birth last year. Her fee was $4000, I believe half before and half after delivery. She uses a doppler and you can get an ultrasound if you choose to with another provider. She does complete lab work for which you also pay out of pocket. We would have loved to have used her, but unfortunately our insurance didn't cover her because she wasn't "in network". I also remember that if you transfer with her she'll take you to UIC because she has a relationship with the midwives there who would then take over your care and allow her to remain with you. Good luck!